Buck Box Designs - New Picture Log

Mass in certain locations. I don't want to explain it fully haha.

I'm not trying to steal any trade secrets or anything. I understand the bracing and 45's. Those two pieces just got me curious as to what the thought was behind them. But, I understand if you don't want to answer the question. Nbd!

Buck is awesome at what he does and takes such pride in it. He literally wants to squeeze every last bit he can for you. I don’t think he wants to keep you from a secret as he just wants to make sure his builds are solid and won’t fail.

Buck is awesome at what he does and takes such pride in it. He literally wants to squeeze every last bit he can for you. I don’t think he wants to keep you from a secret as he just wants to make sure his builds are solid and won’t fail.

So, is he saying that those two pieces that I highlighted are braces of some sort? All his designs look very solid.

So, is he saying that those two pieces that I highlighted are braces of some sort? All his designs look very solid.
Yes... adding mass is like a brace. The bigger the panel the more you need hence the double thick one on the rear panel in that design. Plus you can tie-in the bottom and top to it adding strength.
As he said, some are for mass, some are for airflow and some may serve both purposes. The hard part is when volume is at a premium and you require premium materials to get strength, you design specifically for the materials and end-up with bracing that cuts into your optimum volume. (trunks suk sometimes)
Then the compromising occurs. Lose a little volume, lose a touch of port to keep everything in harmony... designer stuff man.
A enclosure is usually a compromise somehow... even the optimum ones have small but necessary adjustments like for power, tuning or materials/space.

Yes... adding mass is like a brace. The bigger the panel the more you need hence the double thick one on the rear panel in that design. Plus you can tie-in the bottom and top to it adding strength.
As he said, some are for mass, some are for airflow and some may serve both purposes. The hard part is when volume is at a premium and you require premium materials to get strength, you design specifically for the materials and end-up with bracing that cuts into your optimum volume. (trunks suk sometimes)
Then the compromising occurs. Lose a little volume, lose a touch of port to keep everything in harmony... designer stuff man.
A enclosure is usually a compromise somehow... even the optimum ones have small but necessary adjustments like for power, tuning or materials/space.

Just a different type of brace that I've never seen before. I'm Used to seeing the T type or window type of braces. I didn't realize that small of a piece would actually help brace a box. I initially thought that those pieces were for airflow, not bracing. Never too old to learn I guess. I guess that those pieces prevent the bigger panels from flexing.

Just a different type of brace that I've never seen before. I'm Used to seeing the T type or window type of braces. I didn't realize that small of a piece would actually help brace a box. I initially thought that those pieces were for airflow, not bracing. Never too old to learn I guess. I guess that those pieces prevent the bigger panels from flexing.

There is math behind it. There's things going on inside of my boxes that people don't know about, unless you are a long time designer like me. Even long time designers that I've know, I don't see them doing it like I do. That's fine, I just have my own style, you know?

My brain has very very strong visualization abilities. Most boxes are immediately visualized in my mind before I ever start looking at numbers. I've done so many boxes, my mind just knows how it's going to lay out. People would be surprised I think at some of my boxes, and the actual math behind them. There's all sorts of tricks you can do with ports, bracing and airflow to save space and help the air actually flow through the box.

I'm not bragging, I'm just trying to explain something. Back in 2013, I had a competitor contact me and tell me he was told about me by a guy with a double PHD in audio engineering who makes speaker cabinets and other stuff, I'm sure, for really big musicians. I was 21 in 2013. I got to talk to the guy a little bit with the PHD's, and we talked about ported boxes and how awesome they are. Sometimes simplicity truly has an untouchable value. But anyways, this guy told me that, in his eyes and at the time (2013), I was the 7th best car audio designer in the world that he knew of, and the 4th best in the United States that he knew of. That's what I was told.

I say that just to say this: I just get sound and bass, in general. There's stuff I do in designs that I used to not even understand how it helped, but I still did it that way just out of a larger perception. Now I know more than ever, and I use what I've learned to perfect my skills as much as possible.

I went to a very difficult private school my whole childhood, and that private school was probably harder to graduate than many of your 4 year degrees would be. Got too sick before I could actually do college, I was accepted to every college I applied for. UT (Knoxville), Auburn, Kentucky, and Belmont. I got accepted to do computer science at UT, just was too boring, was 100% about to really enjoy audio engineering at Belmont, but I just was too sick. In school, my testing for Quantitative Analysis, I was in the top of the top for the entire state of TN. I took the SAT in 7th grade, and was 1 wrong question away from getting nationally recognized for my score. You have to be smart to even be asked to take the SAT in 7th grade.

I don't think I'm better than anyone else. I'm actually just a poor and sick person that's lucky enough, for now, to have people taking care of me.

So when you see my designs and wonder about stuff, maybe think about what I put above.

Box designing is totally an artform. Idc how much math you do, and I do a TON of math, believe me. The math is important, but the math is only worth so much, if you don't understand the nature of sound and how to apply the math. The nature of sound takes a long time to understand; there's sound at literally every level of reality. Atom->Adam->Sun, all filled with sounds.

Like my father was a structural and civil engineer. I come from that type of people. You've talked about buildings and structures and what not, IIRC. I used to go out onto building sites and tops of skyscrapers and stuff with my father when I was a child. Engineering is quite literally in my DNA :devilish: 😇

Like my father was a structural and civil engineer. I come from that type of people. You've talked about buildings and structures and what not, IIRC. I used to go out onto building sites and tops of skyscrapers and stuff with my father when I was a child. Engineering is quite literally in my DNA :devilish: 😇

I hear ya, I learned how to read blueprints at a very young age sitting next to my Dad. As a Superintendent, I would often have to send scale drawings of a particular problem to the engineers to let them know how we were going to fix said problem. Most office engineers (pencil pushers) have very little to zero knowledge what actually works in the field. Architects are the same way. They draw pretty pictures, but give little to no thought about how to build it structurally sound. UT Knoxville was a fun University to go to. Especially, since it was paid for. It's obvious to everybody that you know your shitt!

20210228_084348.jpg

Last edited:
I hear ya, I learned how to read blueprints at a very young age sitting next to my Dad. As a Superintendent, I would often have to send scale drawings of a particular problem to the engineers to let them know how we were going to fix said problem. Most office engineers (pencil pushers) have very little to zero knowledge what actually works in the field. Architects are the same way. They draw pretty pictures, but give little to no thought about how to build it structurally sound. UT Knoxville was a fun University to go to. Especially, since it was paid for. It's obvious to everybody that you know your shitt!

View attachment 28493

Yeah, like I passed college CAD 101 when I turned 16 during the summer between sophmore and junior and was the youngest in my class and like one of the first ones to finish. I actually finished early and manually drew stuff that I was supposed to copy and paste, so they made me go back and delete what I perfectly drew and copy and paste and that's the only reason I didn't graduate as the first person. Like doing stuff like this is just in my skill set. I enjoy audio because it's such a full picture; I get to design, build, listen to what I made, show others, help others with their systems, etc. It's really rewarding to me in that way, and sound is personal, representation of people's minds or hearts or whatever.

Last edited:
2 Fi Team 15's in a big SUV tuned decently low (good low daily). Series 6th Order C Pillar Wall on a 15,000 watt amp.

View attachment 28497

View attachment 28498

View attachment 28499

View attachment 28500

View attachment 28501

View attachment 28502

View attachment 28503

This is gonna be loud as F. 15kw amp powered by 4 alts in a series 6th order designed around a decent daily low end tuning, with pretty good port area to handle all of that power. The front port on this box is pretty large. And the whole box flows like a spiral, in and out. From the back of the subs, into the rear port, out the rear port into the front chamber, back past the subs, then out the front port. It's one big push and pull system.

Me trying to save space here to get the airspaces and port sizes I wanted actually made the port and chambers tie into each other well. It's just gonna be pain coming out of that top port.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...