Box Volume: How is the sound affected by it?

Participant count
  • Participant list

SpeeDFX
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I'm gonna build a box for my 2 shivas...

As the amount of volume goes up, does the sound get less boomy and tighter, or vice versa?

What are the advantages and disadvantages of a bigger or smaller box volume?

Should the box be built with a partition so that each sub has its own area,or combine the volumes and have 1 big space of air that the subs share.

By making the box larger, the air spring limits cone motion less and allows the system to play lower and with flatter overall response (lower Qtc) at the expense of power handling. If you go too large, however, you begin to lose efficiency in order to gain the additional low frequency extension. By making the box smaller, the air spring exerts more control and limits cone motion at low frequencies which increases power handling but does not let the system play as low and produces a more peaked response (higher Qtc.)

As far as seperate chambers. If you don't, you run the risk of blowing both subs if one goes. The divider also acts as a pretty good brace considering it's in the middle of te enclosure //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

How about the tightness of play? I'm trying to decide to go with 1.3 cf (after displacement) or around 1.5 (after displacement) in each enclosure for both my shivas. I'm looking for high sound quality...

I agree with goddyd4me. I don't believe you will really be able to tell the difference. I would go with the larger box. As Shiva's tend to like the larger enclsoures . //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.