Box is too small... Go sealed or take away a sub

Participant count
  • Participant list

4BangerStanger

CarAudio.com Regular
DFW
Hello. I am in the midst of building a box to go under the backseat in my 2019 F150 super crew. The original plan was for it to house 3 8" NVX subs. But, due to having to shrink the box down a bit after doing some real world measurements, I'm stuck with a box that's right at 1.5 cubic feet. The subs call for .5 each sealed or .75 ported. So, I'm thinking my best options are to either make the box sealed, or to eliminate one of the subs and port the box. What would y'all recommend? I really don't have any more room to make the box bigger. Some of the measurements worked out in paper, but once I did some mock ups, I had to lose some air space.

My Honest Opinion?? Id rather loose a sub to get more performance out of a pair of subs ported. Let them Breathe/ and do some real work

That's where my head was at as well. Any thoughts on where to tune the box? My last box in my Mustang was tuned to 33hz, but that was with the Sundown subs that I had. These are the NVX VSW82v2.

Last edited:
Talk to buck on the box and hz you want. He can design it so it fits in your area for the music you listen to. Idk if he is doing box designs right now with him suffering from some medical issues though.

Freq. Response say 20Htz to 200. Good reference would be from 32-38 in my listening experiences and or preference. I like 32htz in most of my vehicles as I like the lows quite a bit. Its up to the listener and or the preference of the one listening and what they enjoy of course, and type of music he or she prefers of course. The subs you chose do not take much power at all so do get too disappointed on wanting more of a sub stage later on(of course this may be all you need for your listening needs). Just take it easy on power provided and tune properly and tune again when the subs loosen up in a couple weeks or so

Freq. Response say 20Htz to 200. Good reference would be from 32-38 in my listening experiences and or preference. I like 32htz in most of my vehicles as I like the lows quite a bit. Its up to the listener and or the preference of the one listening and what they enjoy of course, and type of music he or she prefers of course. The subs you chose do not take much power at all so do get too disappointed on wanting more of a sub stage later on(of course this may be all you need for your listening needs). Just take it easy on power provided and tune properly and tune again when the subs loosen up in a couple weeks or so
I appreciate the info. Also, I have gone back to the drawing board a bit and have determined that if I make the box wider and angle the front face a bit, I can get some additional air space. This would get me 1.93 cubic feet. Obviously, it's still a little short of the 2.25 recommended, but closer. So, given that volume, would it be OK to put all 3 in there? Just trying to figure out a way to make it work since I have the 3 subs sitting here 😂

Have you ran ts specs through any software? With th high fs I'm guessing ported will probably be the box to go with. If the specs say it's best sealed, I'd go with more subs sealed. If specs say ported, go with less subs ported. Specs say middle ground between either, still go ported. Work with what the subs are best at

Speaking from a strictly base level point of view, if you are getting a 3db gain or less at port tuning(musical setup tuned around 31-32hz) having the extra sub will offer essentially the same output to a point. 8 inch subs are a compromise on many fronts, so ported is usually the go-to for lower-end extension and output. If you are tuning higher, say 35hz or so then ported is going to offer you more than the extra sealed sub can.

It really depends on what you like. I'm about to run a pair of 18's on 2500w. But I'm getting a DSP so I can cut the output from about 40hz and up and tame them for general music while being able to really feel the low end. It's kinda counter-intuitive, but its how I like my substage to sound and blend with my front.

Matt

Sorry if I was unclear. I will definitely be doing a ported box. I'm just trying to determine if I can squeeze 3 subs in the box at 1.93 cubic feet when the recommended volume is 2.25. I actually just found some more info that says the ideal volume for these subs in a ported box is .65 each. So, I think my box is just about perfect.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...