box for 6x9" speakers

svizoman

CarAudio.com Newbie
slo
i have a van with 6" speakers that cant produce any good sound. i bought pair of 6x9" speakers and would mount them into MDF box. mounting location can only be done behind and at the bottom of the seats.
there is not a lot of space but box of 16 liters (see picture) can be done. will it be enough volume, what about woofer port, do i need it?

Attachments

• 20230316_152555.jpg
    20230316_152555.jpg
    512.3 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
I wouldn’t port 6x9s unless it’s for a specific application. It can be done, but the port tuning will probably be kinda high which poses a risk of blowing the speakers if you’re playing under the port tuning. If you are doing full range music with them, I’d just seal them up and use an EQ to try to adjust them to taste. If you have a sub and want to try a midbass port tuning and use a crossover to keep the low bass from going to the 6x9s it would probably work.

I doubt you'd see much increase porting a 6x9...if you need more output, feed it more power...in a sealed box it should take a bit more

yes i read that bass ports if not done correctly it will ruin everything. so ok no ports.
what about enclouser at all. i also read 6x9 speakers are meant to be in free air as mounted on a trunk shelf or like. some say it will ruin the sound when put intobox some say it can be put into the box, while this box is big enough.

so my 3rd question and my wery first in the topic, box volume...
will 12 to 15liters of net box volume be enough. for more i dont really have space in my van. if really speaker are ment to be in" open", do i even bother with making a box or just mount them somehow?
the final box be like

Attachments

• 20230316_225731.jpg
    20230316_225731.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Just mount your 6x9s where you can. If you need a box because you don't have any where to mount them on your vehicle, then use em. You are overthinking it. Don't bother with porting it, there's no way your 6x9s need it, you would probably never notice it, and good luck getting it right.

Lets go back to "6" speakers that cant produce any good sound."

Are you powering the 6x9s with the same power that the 6" have?
Why don't 6" have good sound?
Is that 6.5" or 6"?
What is your entire stereo setup?
Do you already have the 6x9s, don't want to bother with the 6", and just want a cheap box to get some sound?

Last edited:
i am no soundfill just want decent stereo similar than in a regular car. now this is 2009 renault master van and yes doors are made for 6" speakers. previous owner instal new jvc radio (standard 4×20w rms chip inside) and new 75w infinity speakers.

well end result is just poor even for my ears. there is just no bass no loudness no nothing.

so i bought cheap 3 way6x9 speakers. in my car 20 years ago i had similar standard radio and 6x9 speakers on the self and end result was ok and they were loud.

similar sound i wish to have in my van as i like to listen loud music while driving but with 6" just cant get it. now buying 150€ 6" speakers might help but i know that 30€ 6x9 will be better so i got those.

since i have no place to mount them my only solution is to make a box if that is needed but if they can be in "free air" even better as i will make just some bracket to hold them.

if i had to make a box then only place to put those boxes is behind and at the bottom of the seat row where speakers will face forward, if boxes are not needed maybe i could even mount them above the head at the corners of cabin and they could either face downward or forward.

not planing to over complicate but i ask before i starting anything.

thx for all the help

Last edited:
I wouldn’t just mount them anywhere. In a door the back of the speaker and the front are separated from each other. If they’re just sitting out in free air you won’t get as good of sound as you would in a door or a box. They will sound good in a box. “Free air” speakers usually work well with a sealed box also.

Also, don’t expect the 6x9’s to be a magic solution. They will help, but they will not make your van sound like the car you had. The larger the interior of the vehicle, the harder it becomes to get loud sound. Especially bass.

Also, don’t expect the 6x9’s to be a magic solution. They will help, but they will not make your van sound like the car you had. The larger the interior of the vehicle, the harder it becomes to get loud sound. Especially bass.
van cabin is under 3m3 while average car's is above 3, so it shouldnt be harder. i am speaking of cargo van, nor rv or passanger van.

Back in the 90's we used to build boxes for 2-6x9 and an 8" passive radiator. They got down. I wish I would have saved the box specs.
Hell yeah. That sounded good for for a small footprint, I did 4 pioneer 6x9s with a single 8 inch radiator in my old S10 back in the day, The box was 1.5 cubes and the radiator tuned the box to around 40 HZ. I had no specs to run so that was just a guess. It did need an SSF set at around 35 HZ or it would unload, but it sounded really good, especially on rock, metal and country music. I got hooked on radiators. I have 2 10 inch earthquake radiators sitting around and I’m considering doing a single 12 with dual 10 inch radiators.

Hell yeah. That sounded good for for a small footprint, I did 4 pioneer 6x9s with a single 8 inch radiator in my old S10 back in the day, The box was 1.5 cubes and the radiator tuned the box to around 40 HZ. I had no specs to run so that was just a guess. It did need an SSF set at around 35 HZ or it would unload, but it sounded really good, especially on rock, metal and country music. I got hooked on radiators. I have 2 10 inch earthquake radiators sitting around and I’m considering doing a single 12 with dual 10 inch radiators.
Why not do an old school Kicker style? Two 8" with 2 10" down firing radiators?

Why not do an old school Kicker style? Two 8" with 2 10" down firing radiators?
That’s a good idea. I already did a single 8 with the dual 10 inch radiators recently just to screw around. I had a lot of xmax left unused in the radiators to add another sub. This was never a serious thing that I was leaving in the car. The sound quality is pretty damn good though.

20w on those infiniti speakers are underpowered. Those 6" are underpowered, and they are midbass, not bass. (There's a little "sounds like a bump" for sound quality, but nothing you're going to REALLY feel). If you put your hand on the speaker you'll know it's playing but you won't feel it while you are in your seat. If you want to feel the bass, you need a subwoofer.

If your head unit has RCA outputs in the back, you could spend about $100 and get a small amp that will play 75w on those infinitis and they WILL sound better and WILL be louder.

You would then need a subwoofer, or could try to build a box for your 6x9s, but they won't make real bass. (30€ 6x9s) just won't sound loud or have bass, they are designed to work with less power. They just won't sound as bad on head unit power. (Although that might still be underpowered).

similar sound i wish to have in my van as i like to listen loud music while driving but with 6" just cant get it. now buying 150€ 6" speakers might help but i know that 30€ 6x9 will be better so i got those.
I have heard plenty of headunit only setups that sound pretty good. JVC radios have very good sound, so the issue may be the wiring, or the back wave is not separated from the front. I would open the door panels and check for polarity and sealing in general. See that all is done right before pulling the trigger on modifications.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...