Box builders or someone who sells designs?

Jtyson

I need a box for my 2015 Ram Crew Cab for a single 8" Skar ZVX8. Needs a giant box, but space in this truck is stupid. I have been speaking to someone from a company called Sound Off Audio who said he could build it, but then told me I'd have to bring it to him in Panama City, FL. I'm in New Mexico, so I can't justify a 3k mile road trip for a sub box. We have a couple mediocre audio shops here and I've had two of them build mediocre boxes for $500 each in the past so I don't care to go that route again. 

I have a table saw, clamps, glue, etc as I have a hobby wood shop. I could build it myself if someone told me what dimensions I needed to make it as I don't fully understand how to build ports and such. I'm up to paying a pro for that plan and building my own, or if you guys know anyone in this area that can help me out, I'd appreciate it. 

Where do you plan on putting this sub at? Behind the rear seat? Under the rear seat? @shredder2 can prob cook you up a design for ya. Just need some more info that will more than likely get asked.

It will have to be under the back seat(s). These truck have stupid molded cargo areas so a rectangular box can't be used. So it would need to be something like this picture, except for a single 8" Skar ZVX8. 

sub box.jpg

In posting that picture, I got the idea that I could probably buy a fox box and just modify it to fit my purpose. Anyone have any experience with their quality?

I've seen this Foxbox in person and the supposed cu ft for them isn't true. I went to a buddy's house and he was doing exactly what you're wanting to do. I'm curious as to how your gonna modify an already prefab enclosure?

The wood portion I could build entirely on my own if I had their molded bottom part and knew what dimensions to do the wood. I have all the tools and skills needed to do the labor, just no idea how to do the design. Modding a prefab box wouldn't be ideal, but may be doable. 

On their site, their single vented box is stated at 1.85ft^3. So even if that were slightly overstated, it is more than the suggested 1.25ft^3 Skar calls for this sub. And if I wanted to use two of them since I have them, the dual vented box is stated as 1.55ft^3 on each side. So that might actually be close to what I would need. 

My question would be how important is the port area and port length that is mentioned by Skar for an enclosure? Fox doesn't list those on their site, so no idea how that would work. 

Was your buddy running the same sub?

The wood portion I could build entirely on my own if I had their molded bottom part and knew what dimensions to do the wood. I have all the tools and skills needed to do the labor, just no idea how to do the design. Modding a prefab box wouldn't be ideal, but may be doable. 

On their site, their single vented box is stated at 1.85ft^3. So even if that were slightly overstated, it is more than the suggested 1.25ft^3 Skar calls for this sub. And if I wanted to use two of them since I have them, the dual vented box is stated as 1.55ft^3 on each side. So that might actually be close to what I would need. 

My question would be how important is the port area and port length that is mentioned by Skar for an enclosure? Fox doesn't list those on their site, so no idea how that would work. 

Port area and port length is just as important as the internal volume itself, if you want the sub or subs to sound good.

He was doing an install for someone he knows which utilized some JL shallow mounts. Which sounded ok to both of them but then he threw in some Audiofrog subs he had in his garage and sounded much better in the box.

I sent an email to fox last night, so hopefully they get back with me with info on the port dimensions. If their prefab box will be adequate, then I'd be perfectly happy just buying something and putting it all in rather than having to build something. 

I'm sure it isn't something someone could pin down exactly, but how exactly does the port length change the quality/power? I can understand area, but there are plenty of ways to get a port that is 14.45"sq so does shape really matter so long as the port length is correct? Correct me if I'm wrong but a port would need to be something about 3"x5"x19" to hit the specs for that sub of 14.45"^2 and 19" length. 19" port length seems like it would be difficult to get anywhere in that box.

if you have the skills to build it, get some cardboard, cut all the bottom portions, build the whole enclosure sealed with subwoofer cutouts completely and maximize every last bit of airspace possible.  Then get some packing peanuts, fill the enclosure completely full, then dump all the peanuts into a carboard box, measure length x width x height (to how much the peanuts fill up, that should give you a rough approximation of the airspace you have. Then we can figure out port values and numbers on here if you get us that information and we can recommend a proper dimension port for you.

Its easy to subtract airspace but its way harder to add. Instead of wasting money on a sh*tty prefab box, just build your own but make sure the box is as big as possible and squeeze as much airspace as you can possible do and a bit more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright I was able to pick up some mattress boxes this weekend. I'll tear things apart in the next day or two, build a mock up as best as I can, and see what to do. Still haven't heard anything back from Fox

Alright I was able to pick up some mattress boxes this weekend. I'll tear things apart in the next day or two, build a mock up as best as I can, and see what to do. Still haven't heard anything back from Fox
I've got the same truck, well, it's a '14 but the stupid molded cubby holes in the back are the same. When you go to spec out the space with cardboard, pull out the carpet under the seat and in that cargo area. The carpet has padding underneath and you will gain some space by removing it. 

I've honestly toyed with the idea of cutting out the metal that forms the little cargo area. It's pretty thin sheet metal that is tack welded in. If you're handy with a welder, it wouldn't be too hard to re-install it if you were to sell/trade-in your truck. With that metal gone, you could do a forward firing setup and gain all kinds of space. That's a little bit extreme but just food for thought. 

I've got the same truck, well, it's a '14 but the stupid molded cubby holes in the back are the same. When you go to spec out the space with cardboard, pull out the carpet under the seat and in that cargo area. The carpet has padding underneath and you will gain some space by removing it. 

I've honestly toyed with the idea of cutting out the metal that forms the little cargo area. It's pretty thin sheet metal that is tack welded in. If you're handy with a welder, it wouldn't be too hard to re-install it if you were to sell/trade-in your truck. With that metal gone, you could do a forward firing setup and gain all kinds of space. That's a little bit extreme but just food for thought. 
I have considered the idea of removing the stupid molded tin extensively. But being that I intend to get rid of the truck in about a year, I don't think it is a good idea to go to all that trouble. I do have the welders and skill to do it, but I think that is a bit more work than I should take on. 

I didn't pull carpet or lift the seats to make the mock up box, so I guess I'll add a small factor in if my mock up happens to be close to adequate. 

Frankly, even just building the mock up for this thing today was stupid. From start to finish, I spent almost 4 hours, and I still haven't calculated the air space because I can't find any filler to check it with. I can say, that without a doubt, I'd rather buy a box than build one for such a ridiculous space. But, since I wasted the whole afternoon on this dumb mock up box, I'll see what I can find to work as a filler to check volume.

Anyway, the box is small. Just by looking at it, I'm thinking there is no way I get close to 3ft^3. As it is, the box touches the bottom of the seats. I think I can lift the seats up to 1.5", but still need to factor in mounting and excursion of the subs themselves. 

IMG_0680.JPG

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_355a.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3559.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_355b.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.