Both amps lost and won't turn on

Participant count
  • Participants list

4BangerStanger

CarAudio.com Regular
DFW
I installed my subs and amp today (2 Sundown e8s on a SoundsQubed 1250). All was well during install and some quick tuning. But, later on I went to pick up dinner and was enjoying the newly added thump. Then suddenly all the speakers started to cut out and both amps (Also have a Taramps 400x4 running a set of active components up front) turned off and will not turn back on. The sub amp is located in the trunk, while the other is under the passenger seat. They are grounded separately, but have a common power wire. The 1/0 wire runs from the battery to a dual inlet fused distribution block. From the distribution block there's a 4 gauge cable running to the Taramps amp. Then a 1/0 wire connected to the other inlet runs back to another fused distribution block then to the SoundQubed amp. Because both amps lost power at the same time, my first thought is the main fuse off of the battery. But, upon inspection, it looks fine. The only other thing that the amps share is the remote turn on wire, which runs from the deck to the Taramps then back to the SoundQubed. I've had the Taramps running the components for a couple months now and had no issues at all. So, clearly the addition of the sub amp created whatever issue is happening. I haven't been able to do any troubleshooting other than to check the main fuse. But, I'd appreciate any thoughts on what may have caused them both to lose power at exactly the same time.

OK. Upon further inspection, the sub amps protect light is on. The Taramps power light is on, but there's no sound coming from the speakers. Seems weird that one amp would affect the other. Any thoughts on potential causes? Still waiting for my multi meter to be delivered.

Shouldn't they share the same ground?
I was advised in another thread to ground them separately since they're a few feet apart. This is also where I can the recommendation for running the power wire.

For reference, these are the distribution blocks that I'm running:
The power wire runs from the battery to this. One fused output goes to the Taramps. Then from the other 1/0 input the wire runs back to the rear distribution block:
Then is a 1/0 run directly to the amp.

I was just curious for future reference
No worries. That was one of the first thoughts that I had too. Honestly, if I had it to do over again, I would just put both amps in the trunk

For reference if it helps, the front amp is grounded to a spot on the floor under the seat. It's part of the internal bracing that the seat attaches to. The rear amp is grounded to one of the bolts for the rear seat. Both were sanded to bare metal.

No worries. That was one of the first thoughts that I had too. Honestly, if I had it to do over again, I would just put both amps in the trunk

For reference if it helps, the front amp is grounded to a spot on the floor under the seat. It's part of the internal bracing that the seat attaches to. The rear amp is grounded to one of the bolts for the rear seat. Both were sanded to bare metal.

Come to think of it I have multiple grounds as well.

I added a ground for the battery under the hood to a strut tower bolt.

My amp is grounded to my second battery and my second battery is grounded to a rear seat bolt as well.

So it's probably not the problem

Come to think of it I have multiple grounds as well.

I added a ground for the battery under the hood to a strut tower bolt.

My amp is grounded to my second battery and my second battery is grounded to a rear seat bolt as well.

So it's probably not the problem

The other thing that has me leaning away from the grounds being the issue is the fact that both amps shut off at the same time. That leads me to believe that it has to be power or remote related. I also tried disconnecting the speakers etc and it still stayed in protect mode. I'm now thinking that the Taramps may in protect too as the power light seems dimmer than normal, which would explain why there's no sound coming out.

I pulled the fuse from the sub amp to see if the Taramps would start back up and got nothing. I'm really hoping I didn't fry my amps.

The other thing that has me leaning away from the grounds being the issue is the fact that both amps shut off at the same time. That leads me to believe that it has to be power or remote related. I also tried disconnecting the speakers etc and it still stayed in protect mode. I'm now thinking that the Taramps may in protect too as the power light seems dimmer than normal, which would explain why there's no sound coming out.

I pulled the fuse from the sub amp to see if the Taramps would start back up and got nothing. I'm really hoping I didn't fry my amps.

I fried a soundqubed 2250 but it made a loud pop then smoke came out(my fault not the amp). So doubt you fried it.

I agree though, seems like it's a power issue since both stopped working

OK. Had a chance to do some metering and what I'm seeing is that both amps are seeing 12+ volts with the ignition off. Yet, when I turn the ignition on, voltage drops to about 4.5 volts. I also checked the main fuse under the hood and it shows 12+ volts on both ends of the fuse. So, it seems like it's good. But, I don't remember if I checked with the ignition on before security kicked me out of the parking lot I was in. So, I think I've successfully determined that it is related to the power wire (both remotes tested fine). I'm leaning more toward the fuse or maybe the connection to the battery. But, the fact that the Taramps has been running for a while now leads me to believe that the connection is OK. Gonna pick up another fuse and try that out.

Last edited:
OK. Had a chance to do some metering and what I'm seeing is that both amps are seeing 12+ volts with the ignition off. Yet, when I turn the ignition on, voltage drops to about 4.5 volts. I also checked the main fuse under the hood and it shows 12+ volts on both ends of the fuse. So, it seems like it's good. But, I don't remember if I checked with the ignition on before security kicked me out of the parking lot I was in. So, I think I've successfully determined that it is related to the power wire (both remotes tested fine). I'm leaning more toward the fuse or maybe the connection to the battery. But, the fact that the Taramps has been running for a while now leads me to believe that the connection is OK. Gonna pick up another fuse and try that out.

Well on the bright side of things at least your amps aren't fried

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.