Blown Subwoofer

Participant count
  • Participants list

predxen
10+ year member

I just picked up a pair of MTX Thunder 8000's wired them up, and listened to them. They appeared to not be getting enough power from my ATX 1600.2 amp. So i though i would bridge one. Me being new to car audio did not know how to bridge an amp. i have since then learned my mistake. when i wired the sub the first time i took 2 speaker wires and hooked them both up to the amp, Then i twisted the positive ends of the two wires together and the negative ones together and put them in the sub. when i turned it on the amp went into protection mode. i knew i had messed up and went inside to look online only to see that i wired them wrong. i hooked up the other sub in the correct way in a bridge and it worked wonderfully. Then i tried the other sub and the amp went into protection mode. So i think i may have blown one of my MTX's, but i am not sure. if i did i was wondering where i could pick up a re-cone kit.

bridging an amp means to use one terminal from each side, one+ one- and you will have the same left over. As for the sub I don't know what you did?

subum.png

You are going into protect because even though there there are 2 + and 2 -, you are only using 1 + and 1 - on the amp. There should be a line saying bridged and pointing to only one set of terminals. You bridge the speaker and then take the 2 sets of wires and put their to one channel on the amp

You are going into protect because even though there there are 2 + and 2 -, you are only using 1 + and 1 - on the amp. There should be a line saying bridged and pointing to only one set of terminals. You bridge the speaker and then take the 2 sets of wires and put their to one channel on the amp[/quote
he said it doesn't work when hooked up correctly.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.