Big 3 Upgrade for dual Battery set up in 2009 Chevy Tahoe

Participant count
  • Participants list

GoT_2B_BuMpN

CarAudio.com Recruit
Hello all...I currently have a dual battery setup in my Tahoe. Tahoe was a former Police Tahoe so It has upgraded electrical. I would like to redo the dual battery setup in 1/0 AWG and replace isolator ETC. Can anyone tell me if there is a pre made kit for this or can anyone give me an exact list of materials and components that I will need. maybe a full tutorial video or write up on topic?

I've realized that my batteries are not isolated, as I can start vehicle with either battery unhooked. So should I get a battery isolater? And do big 3 upgrade to auxiliary battery or ?

what is your goal here? You gonna do a big audio system or? If so how many watts are you looking at doing?

I plan to upgrade as much as I possibly can. Right now I have just dual alpine 12s on 1000w RMS Kenwood amp. But I just purchased dual Sundown 15s with 2000w amp. But I eventually want to add 2 more 15s for a total of 4, so I'm guessing that will take 3500w to 5000w. Plus high wattage pro audio loud doors. So my guess is that stock wont cut it. My Tahoe is an SSV ( former police vehicle) so I believe it has 170 amp alternator and dual battery setup. Like I said before, I am pretty new to this. So I am just really trying to learn as I go. But I do know that I want to have a kick ass sound system and that takes POWER.

I plan to upgrade as much as I possibly can. Right now I have just dual alpine 12s on 1000w RMS Kenwood amp. But I just purchased dual Sundown 15s with 2000w amp. But I eventually want to add 2 more 15s for a total of 4, so I'm guessing that will take 3500w to 5000w. Plus high wattage pro audio loud doors. So my guess is that stock wont cut it. My Tahoe is an SSV ( former police vehicle) so I believe it has 170 amp alternator and dual battery setup. Like I said before, I am pretty new to this. So I am just really trying to learn as I go. But I do know that I want to have a kick ass sound system and that takes POWER.

no need to isolate the batteries. With a system making 5000w rms or more, that 170 amp alternator isn’t gonna do. You will want to go with something bigger. Big setups with big power will take a lot of planning and lots of hours in work on the install end to make it right. Ideas will change and possibly equipment choices will change as you go. The best thing to do is come up with a layout on paper, measure everything to see how much space you have to work with, then start filling that layout with equipment of choice. Then comes box design and all that good stuff. After that comes the fun part of transferring that layout into the car and making it a reality. Then comes tuning and it goes on and on and on lol.

You keep the stock wiring in place. You add big wire to:
Alt (+) to batt (+)
Batt (-) to frame
Engine block to frame.
Make sure your frame grounds are bare metal. No painted surfaces.

You will want 1/0 wire.
I bought 1/0 ring terminals and a 16ton hydraulic wire crimper and cut wire to correct length, crimped the ends, added heat shrink, and installed.

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...