Big 3 Contradiction?

WarDrumz
10+ year member

Hebrew Israelite
Included in the "Big 3" upgrades is the ALTERNATOR. And according to many, a higher output alternator is the most significant upgrade you can do for your electrical system.

BUT..I have seen many times in different forums on here that high-output alternators only put out their rated amperage at 3000rpms or more. And that they don't do AS MUCH as you'd think if you don't keep a steady 3000rpms. And a few have said that stock alts are better at low rpms.

I don't know about you guyz cars, but to keep a constant 3000rpms I have to go atleast 80mph. Last time I checked, that's kinda dangerous to be going that fast in neighborhoods and to the store.

So if stock alts are better at low rpms, AND high-output alts only put out their rated amperage at 3000rpms or higher, then how is that a significant upgrade?

I don't wanna have to get on the highway and do 80 just to charge my system back up so that I can bump around my neighborhood.

Isn't that kind of a contradiction?

Is it only a significant electrical upgrade IF your constantly on the highway? Bcuz that's sure how it sounds to ME.

So again, IF that is true, isn't that somewhat of a contradiction, or atleast not the WHOLE truth?

Feedback is appreciated, as I am debating whether or not to get a high-output alternator.

Thanx....

I say just get rid of your alternator. You dont need one, just replace the battery every time it goes dead.

So do you think your factory alt puts out its rated power when you are idleing? No, it doesnt either. Find you a good high amp alt and dont worry about it. You are putting way to much thought into it that will just end up causing you to die at a young age.

So do you think your factory alt puts out its rated power when you are idleing? No, it doesnt either.
I agree with the idle point you made, but does the factory alt need 3000rpms to put out it's rated power?

That's a fair question in this comparison.

Actually, it seems that you have taken some internet slander as the fact. Who said all of those HO alternators don't do the rated power at idle?

If you do some more research, you will find that many HO alternators made for car audio are designed to put out that power at a lower RPM than some other alternators. You will also find that they STILL generally put out much more power at most RPM ranges than stock alternators.

Just make sure you research the one you are getting and find out what it does. There are a lot of people that see numbers and base too many statements on them. They see wattages and forget to look into the voltages. They see this and forget to check into that. You will find that most products rated on numbers, will test the products on a domain that will yield the highest output #'s for their own selling purposes.

Basically, when looking at different components, find out what #'s they put out at various voltages, various frequencies, various RPMS, and with various stickers and such.

That way you can determine the best product (or at least make an educated guess based on others' experience, #'s, reviews, and your financial situation) for your application.

Oh, and to keep a constant RPM range of 3,000, you can simply not shift past 1st gear. That way I guarantee you won't be over 26mph (give or take).

Peace.

T.J.

Thanks Helo, I wasn't going to go there, you big jerk //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Ahhh J/K

Did my post seem accurate? I'm trying to alleviate the hype and help people get quality systems without over paying.

T.J.

I agree with the idle point you made, but does the factory alt need 3000rpms to put out it's rated power?
That's a fair question in this comparison.
With a HO alt you may not get the max output at low rpm's, but it will be putting out more then the factory alt at the same low rpms. Unless you just get a really crappy alt that is over rated.

Do some research and find a good one. then put 2 of them in if it makes you feel better or just always drive in 1st gear to give you that extra piece of mind //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/silly.gif.3549b64aaa5b6729eb8e865319a3234f.gif

Oh, and to keep a constant RPM range of 3,000, you can simply not shift past 1st gear. That way I guarantee you won't be over 26mph (give or take).
My truck will do around 40mph in first gear :up2someth

i have a h.o. alt. at idle it puts out 100 amps. my stock alt was a 70 amp alt. that was MAX. you can buy different size pullys to make the alt spin fater at lower rpms. the smaller the pulley the faster it will spin. thus, mor amps! get yourself a h.o. alt. you will be ALOT better off.

i have a h.o. alt. at idle it puts out 100 amps. my stock alt was a 70 amp alt. that was MAX. you can buy different size pullys to make the alt spin fater at lower rpms. the smaller the pulley the faster it will spin. thus, mor amps! get yourself a h.o. alt. you will be ALOT better off.
Thanx man,

Nice input. I guess now all I need is to find a place that sells a 150-180amp alt for my car at a resonable price.

To everyone else:

Yeah, I made a mistake. I thought an alternator was apart of the 3 upgrades to make under the hood. O-well, by my first post you get the gist of what the thread is about anyway.

So I guess a 180amp alt at idle-2000rpms will put out equal or more amps than my stock 90amp alt at it's max output. And as another person said on a related thread, something working at half it's power will likely last alot longer than something working constantly at it's max.

OK.

BUT..I have seen many times in different forums on here that high-output alternators only put out their rated amperage at 3000rpms or more. And that they don't do AS MUCH as you'd think if you don't keep a steady 3000rpms. And a few have said that stock alts are better at low rpms.
You do drive your car though right?

Don't take alternator RPM as motor RPM either - 3kRPM for an alternator in my old car was 1200rpm engine. (remember pulley sizes are different)

So if stock alts are better at low rpms, AND high-output alts only put out their rated amperage at 3000rpms or higher, then how is that a significant upgrade?
Power supply is there, rapid recharge.

I don't wanna have to get on the highway and do 80 just to charge my system back up so that I can bump around my neighborhood.

Isn't that kind of a contradiction?

Is it only a significant electrical upgrade IF your constantly on the highway? Bcuz that's sure how it sounds to ME.

So again, IF that is true, isn't that somewhat of a contradiction, or atleast not the WHOLE truth?

Feedback is appreciated, as I am debating whether or not to get a high-output alternator.

Thanx....
It's sort of right, but you do want a supply... And no, you won't need to rev your engine to 3k to get the effects. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.