Best sub/port placement?

Marve_Lous

That Guy
Aug 4, 2019
Houston, TX
I picked up a ‘14 F150 and installed the 2.5” rear seat lift yesterday. Now I just have to decide on what subs to run and how to place them. I can do 10s front firing or up to a 12 down firing with a 6.5” or smaller mounting depth. I’ve read the port should face out one of the sides, but what’s the best option for the sub? Front or down?

adulbrich

Lock up your grandmothers!
5,000+ posts
May 11, 2014
Ames, Iowa
I don't know, I've seen some good builds with SA-8's under rear truck seats. Front firing, side port. What are your dimensions? I think 12's would be ambitious. It would need to be something with a tiny magnet and small box requirements. I'm assuming you'd also need to have room for the amp under the seat too?

What kind of music do you listen to? If it's mainly rock or country, I'd say some 10's in a sealed box would be easy, and add some kick. A trapezoidal ported box is going to be tougher to design and build, but could really pay off.

Some manufacturers are making some nice looking 8's and 6.5's.

Soundqubed has some "under seat" deals with subs/amp and wiring

CT sounds has the Meso 6.5 or 8

I installed a pair of "Massive" 6.5's in my uncle's corvette. He's been really happy with them for like 4 years now. He mostly listens to rock though, so he mainly wanted "some kick"

Marve_Lous

That Guy
Aug 4, 2019
Houston, TX
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I’ll put the amp behind the seat. Under I’ll have 55” wide 11.25” height front / 8.25” height back and 13” deep. I want to go SQ. I’m looking at 1 or 2 W6 10s front firing since they don’t need much space. 1 Image Dynamics IDQ 12 down firing. 1 IA Flatlyne 12 down firing. Are Soundqubed subs SQ? I listen to mostly hip hop, and most of it I screw and chop.

Buck

[email protected]
Pro Seller
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
May 19, 2008
Orlando Area, FL
I’ll put the amp behind the seat. Under I’ll have 55” wide 11.25” height front / 8.25” height back and 13” deep. I want to go SQ. I’m looking at 1 or 2 W6 10s front firing since they don’t need much space. 1 Image Dynamics IDQ 12 down firing. 1 IA Flatlyne 12 down firing. Are Soundqubed subs SQ? I listen to mostly hip hop, and most of it I screw and chop.
Just let me know man. I can totally guide you with this one. I've done this a good bit. I've even done underseat 4th orders for 2 6.5's in a pickup truck.

I'd do 4 8's if you can fit the airspace. Get with me man and I can draw up the shell and let you know 100%.

• Love
Reactions: Marve_Lous

Marve_Lous

That Guy
Aug 4, 2019
Houston, TX
Dude, with the way you like your lows, you should do a blowthrough, just saying :cool:
I do have a bedcover 🤔😂. I think I’ll just stick with what I can fit under the seat though. Don’t feel like cutting my truck open just yet lol.

Marve_Lous

That Guy
Aug 4, 2019
Houston, TX
Just let me know man. I can totally guide you with this one. I've done this a good bit. I've even done underseat 4th orders for 2 6.5's in a pickup truck.

I'd do 4 8's if you can fit the airspace. Get with me man and I can draw up the shell and let you know 100%.
Which 8s would be best for SQ? I’ve heard the F8L gets down.

Reactions: Buck

Buck

[email protected]
Pro Seller
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
May 19, 2008
Orlando Area, FL
Which 8s would be best for SQ? I’ve heard the F8L gets down.
I don’t think you’re going to beat those by many. Only .55 per sub iirc, 32 ish Fs.

Reactions: Slo_Ride

Marve_Lous

That Guy
Aug 4, 2019
Houston, TX
I don’t think you’re going to beat those by many. Only .55 per sub iirc, 32 ish Fs.
I’d probably just do 2 ported. That way I could make the box a little shallower so it’ll push further under the seat and away from my boys feet. I could also use the JL 1500 I just took out of the Lac. And I could easily run that on factory electrical so I wouldn’t have to spend more on an HO alt or extra battery.

deez283

Senior VIP Member
10+ year member
Apr 29, 2009
Aberdeen, WA
I’d probably just do 2 ported. That way I could make the box a little shallower so it’ll push further under the seat and away from my boys feet. I could also use the JL 1500 I just took out of the Lac. And I could easily run that on factory electrical so I wouldn’t have to spend more on an HO alt or extra battery.
My cousin is gonna order two of the SSA F8L's for under the rear seat in his 2005 Chevy ext. Cab. Will be doing subs facing forward with the port to the passenger side.

Slo_Ride

Regulator
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Oct 15, 2005
ATLANTA

Slo_Ride

Regulator
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Oct 15, 2005
ATLANTA
My cousin is gonna order two of the SSA F8L's for under the rear seat in his 2005 Chevy ext. Cab. Will be doing subs facing forward with the port to the passenger side.
If I was op I would do this

Slo_Ride

Regulator
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Oct 15, 2005
ATLANTA
If not four I would do three

hispls

CarAudio.com Veteran
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Sep 10, 2009
Central Maine
I listen to mostly hip hop, and most of it I screw and chop.
But you need SQ and are going to be banging 20hz sine bombs on subs that can be stuffed under the seat of a pickup truck?

Have very reasonable expectations here.

Marve_Lous

That Guy
Aug 4, 2019
Houston, TX
But you need SQ and are going to be banging 20hz sine bombs on subs that can be stuffed under the seat of a pickup truck?

Have very reasonable expectations here.
I do. I guess what I’m getting at is I’m not trying to get as loud as possible… of course I wanna feel it, but I mainly want it to sound really good and accurate.

Buck

[email protected]
Pro Seller
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
May 19, 2008
Orlando Area, FL
I do. I guess what I’m getting at is I’m not trying to get as loud as possible… of course I wanna feel it, but I mainly want it to sound really good and accurate.
I think part of the translation of sound is the volume level. Something like a punch might not feel or seem as accurate or deep if it's more quite. You can technically make 8's on lows sound good, but the actual pressure levels of 2 8's in a giant pickup cabin trying to play low notes under the seat might be lacking. If you we able to fit 4 of those 8's on like 2000-2500w, it would make me more confident that the system would be able to pressurize the cabin on low notes significantly better. Lows are the hardest notes to reproduce loudly because of physics, typically, and small woofers in a large airspace are maybe going to struggle some on creating decent pressure on low notes.

You could always do 2 of the 8's under one side of the seat, get a box that's designed to try to do what you want the best. If that isn't loud enough, you could mirror the box on the other side and have 4 8's in total.

Marve_Lous

That Guy
Aug 4, 2019
Houston, TX
I think you may just have to try it and see. If you just do the 2 8's under half of the rear seat, then you could easily just double the system if it wasn't enough.
That doesn’t sound like a bad idea. I would love to try a LOT of different subs/configurations, but time and money are thin haha. I had 2 10w3s in a sealed down firing box in my 08 f150 and they actually sounded good. So I’m sure 2 8s ported on more power would sound even better.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Latest posts

Most posts - Past 30 days

Latest classifieds