Best 12" choices for daily pounding?

MKVDuB

I'm looking for choices to replace my slightly blown FI Q. The ported enclosure I have was tuned for a w7. I think it's 1.75cu ft, maybe 2cu ft (24x13.5x15.5) 3/4mdf but doubled up on the face board. I would probably push more towards SQL. I love the lows but also loud. What are my best choices for this enclosure for daily use? Running a Taramps Smart 3 for the amp.

I'm slightly leaning away from FI. My Q is from 2016 and the surround tore twice. 1st time was repaired under warranty and now I siliconed the whole surround as a repair because my FI SSD Neo from 2018 tore the surround as well 3 weeks ago (also waiting for 3 weeks for FI to contact me back for repair cost). Ty for the offer though. I'm looking to buy new. With my luck, I need the warranty.

In FI's defense, I think the surrounds tore due to improper enclosures. I had a 1.0cuft sealed box with the Q and SSD. Though the Q was ordered with the High QTS option.

For daily single 12 I would look at something like an SSA Icon or Adire Audio Brahma. Good balance of SQ and output on both drivers. Your amp has plenty of headroom as well so you won't have to jack up the gain which is good for daily

For daily single 12 I would look at something like an SSA Icon or Adire Audio Brahma. Good balance of SQ and output on both drivers. Your amp has plenty of headroom as well so you won't have to jack up the gain which is good for daily
Aren't both those subs weaker than my Q? I'd like to go better, considering I have the power to do so with the amp.

How do these subs sound? From what I can tell the Psi, Fi, Sundown, Skar, etc. all seem to be made for SPL. Are they musical as well? I don’t know if a place to get a listen. I have checked out the websites and I would be getting the cheapest 12” any of them make pretty much, and they even look like they would be overkill for what I want. Normally a JL W3 would be at the high end of what I would use and if the W0 was dual 4 or 2 ohm it would be pretty much perfect. I am curious about these newer brands.

Aren't both those subs weaker than my Q? I'd like to go better, considering I have the power to do so with the amp.
You said you want more daily driving (aka SQ) and your limited on box size. Problem is you could grab some 60lb+ driver but will your box be sufficient ? Plus if the voice-coil goes from 3 inchs to 4 you'll technically have less thermal compression

Daily driving + SQ + low box size doesn't sound like you want to throw mass amounts of power to some SPL sub. Not only that RMS doesn't tell you how tough or weak a sub is (can you even properly run 3000 watts non stop ? Efficenty rating of wires, subwoofer driver, alternator and amps ? Box rise ?). You'd be surprised how many watts your setup truly is

Last edited:
How do these subs sound? From what I can tell the Psi, Fi, Sundown, Skar, etc. all seem to be made for SPL. Are they musical as well? I don’t know if a place to get a listen. I have checked out the websites and I would be getting the cheapest 12” any of them make pretty much, and they even look like they would be overkill for what I want. Normally a JL W3 would be at the high end of what I would use and if the W0 was dual 4 or 2 ohm it would be pretty much perfect. I am curious about these newer brands.
I'd say it depends on the music you like to listen to. My FI SSD & Q sounds amazing with rap/hip hop and house (edm). Rock kinda falls behind due to them not really liking high freqs. My old Alpine Type-R loved everything but was nowhere near as loud as the FI's. If you're willing to spend some $, I would point you in the new Alpine Type-X direction for SQ. They have been said so far to be better than W7's for half the price.

You said you want more daily driving (aka SQ) and your limited on box size. Problem is you could grab some 60lb+ driver but will your box be sufficient ? Plus if the voice-coil goes from 3 inchs to 4 you'll technically have less thermal compression

Daily driving + SQ + low box size doesn't sound like you want to throw mass amounts of power to some SPL sub. Not only that RMS doesn't tell you how tough or weak a sub is (can you even properly run 3000 watts non stop ? Efficenty rating of wires, subwoofer driver, alternator and amps ? Box rise ?). You'd be surprised how many watts your setup truly is
I had my gains adjusted to 1500rms and it seems to run a pretty steady 14v at full bore. I'm basically looking for something either better or equivalent to my Q. I know I said SQL but what would be the issue with using a SPL sub daily? Will it burn out?

Also after reading up some more I've been leaning towards a Sundown X. Would that be a bad sub for my enclosure? Or will it die if I use it daily?

I had my gains adjusted to 1500rms and it seems to run a pretty steady 14v at full bore. I'm basically looking for something either better or equivalent to my Q. I know I said SQL but what would be the issue with using a SPL sub daily? Will it burn out?

Also after reading up some more I've been leaning towards a Sundown X. Would that be a bad sub for my enclosure? Or will it die if I use it daily?
The issue with using SPL as daily is overall SQ. SPL is usually very peaky and not as accurate and tight. Especially something like the sundown X (it will destroy the 30-50hz range but lacks the upper bass). Stuff like the Q, icon, and brahma will be accurate and tight in the full range (30 to 80/100hz)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.