Been out of the car audio game for a while, questions...

Participant count
  • Participants list

Mcjasonb85

CarAudio.com Newbie
NC
So I have been out of the car audio game for a while and just recently got a Corolla Hatchback that needs some bass added to the factory system. So I just want to add a smallish sub and amp.

Im planning on using the Kicker Key500.1 amplifier, but am trying to decide if I want to do something like the Kicker 48trtp122 run at 2 ohms, so about 300-350 watts rms, or if I'd rather do a single 10" Dayton high excursion in a smaller sealed box which would run at 1 ohm, so it would get about 500-600 watts rms.

I don't want to use up a ton of trunk space but I'd like to extend my bass from 80hz down to at least 30hz with some decently fun output. I'm not looking to hit crazy high DB numbers, but I'd like it to sound good, but also be capable of getting decently loud.

I've never used a passive radiator setup before, but I'm concerned that the shallow mount kicker sub and passive just don't have a ton of XMAX and just won't move a ton of air. The Dayton has 25mm of one way XMAX which sounds fun, but it's a sealed 10 vs a 12 with a passive.

Last edited:
G
So I have been out of the car audio game for a while and just recently got a Corolla Hatchback that needs some bass added to the factory system. So I just want to add a smallish sub and amp.
With a hatchback, just about anything you put back there will sound good. You are definitely on the right track by wanting to use separate amp and sub enclosure. I recommend using an 4 awg wiring kit in case you catch the bug and want to upgrade in the future. It happens. On low power I think 10" or 12" would be best. Good luck.

I would do a ported box with a nice woofer. One properly ported 10" would make some decent bass in a hatchback.

The Daytons are more low-end oriented. There might be better woofers that match what frequency response you want. Maybe look at the Sundown E Series.

A 10" ported box really wouldn't be that big, and it would give you quite a bit more output. What kind of music do you listen to?

I would do a ported box with a nice woofer. One properly ported 10" would make some decent bass in a hatchback.

The Daytons are more low-end oriented. There might be better woofers that match what frequency response you want. Maybe look at the Sundown E Series.

A 10" ported box really wouldn't be that big, and it would give you quite a bit more output. What kind of music do you listen to?

Pretty much just progressive rock and metal. Sometimes jazz too... I don't really need a ton of output.

I basically want something to fill in where my stock stereo falls off which seems to be around 80hz. So basically I want something that's gonna sound fast and punch well for fast bass drum kicks for music like Opeth and Haken and Meshuggah and so on. I'm going for more of an SQ setup that can still kick and be fun. I figure a small sub capable of a good bit of excursion on 600 ish watts should be plenty in my small Hatch.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...