Battery Voltage on Ground Port of Amp

Thanks for the reply! I went ahead and did what Water Bear recommended just now and the amp powers on and ground is ground showing -63V and my power probe lights green! Amp is on and all leds!! Super happy but my question now is could I run my negative from the battery permanently?

Yes. Grounding on battery negative is debatably the best ground. Ideally the engine block, frame, chassis, and battery negative are all tied together. The idea with grounding on the chassis is that the current flow makes its way back to the battery negative by flowing through those different parts. In practice many vehicles have resistance along that path, especially between joints in th chassis or connections to the frame.

When the connection is bad enough car audio guys will sometimes run directly to battery negative. The way I deal with it is doing a big 3 type upgrade where you manually tie all the components together with big ol' ground wires. The engine block, chassis, battery negative, and alternator negative are all tied together in my Tahoe.

Oh, one more thing. If you're grounding on the battery negative in your trunk, be sure to put your amp power wire on the battery positive in your trunk too.

Water Bear you are a freaking genius!!!!!! Lol I’ve spent hours yesterday changing amps, changing my fuse to another fuse, and redoing my wires and stayed with the same issue. I should’ve calmed down and thought to hook up the negative directly to the battery just to check if it works but I assumed my chassis ground was good since it was reading good on my power probe and showing -volts. So I removed my ground and rerouted it to a factory ground I found in the spare wheel well and all is good now!!! Man thank you so much.

Thanks for the reply! I went ahead and did what Water Bear recommended just now and the amp powers on and ground is ground showing -63V and my power probe lights green!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...