Batteries drop to 11.9v overnight. How to find and fix the phantom power drain?

very easy, just find the wire you want to clamp and put the meter around it with the arrow pointing the direction the current is going

hardest part is going to be finding which specific thing is causing it. start by the battery to confirm the current draw is actually happening, then trace it back to the problem area. if you're lucky it'll be something simple like a light, if you're unlucky it'll be something hard like a bad component

Will my multi meter be able to perform the tests outlined in the previously mentioned Youtube video that explains how to locate the circuit that's drawing the power?

ed05edgl.jpg

Or you could un-plug everything aftermarket and each night plug one extra thing back in. When it starts dropping overnight again, you've found the issue

Light the dome light that stays on all night lol duh
Yeah, probably is the dome light.

Mine don't even work in my truck unless you press the buttons. They don't come on when you open the doors.

I say just take the dome light out, lol. Might be a door switch is bad

I definitely need to figure out why that dome light is staying on. It's weird because it's not even fully on, it's barely on and visible at all. I've made sure that no switches are in the on position and I've sat in the truck for 15 minutes after locking it and setting the alarm and it never goes off. I don't think it could be a door switch because if it was, my Amp steps would stay in the down position, which they don't.

id def check your door sensors. you may have a broken one. does your truck give you any indication that your doors are OPEN when they are closed? like if my car is on and running and i open the door. my dome comes on and also on my dash it shows a car with the doors open.

also check glove box as well. put your phone in the glove box with video/camera mode and record you closing the glovebox to see if the light goes off.

yo can always just remove the bulb from the dome. if that solves the problem then it is probably a relay switch for the timed on/off interior lighting.

If the door sensor was staying open, my retractable steps would stay down, which they don't, so I don't think its the door sensor.

I'll check the glovebox, I read about that somewhere else also.

I'm going to test the bulb and everything else this weekend while reading the amperage draw from the negative post of the battery. hopefully it's something easy and not impossible to find.

ive never had any sort of problems like this with my chevy, its gotta be in your addons wiring somewhere.. start with that wiring.

Oh I guarantee it's in the add ons somewhere. My wiring is all over the place after all the stuff that's been added over the years by several different installers. I wish I could just start fresh with a new truck, but money doesn't allow for that right now.

Your dome light is an easy fix. You need to wire a resistor to the bulb, or else it will stay on. I had to do this on my bed lights and dome light. Search Google for dome light resistor for whatever truck you have...I'm sure someone has already done all of the work in finding what works and what doesn't.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.