Bass Mid High power and SPL ratio?

Participant count
  • Participant list

MikeZS

CarAudio.com Newbie
I have a Ram 1500 quad cab, currently have the stock 7 speaker infinity system. I just scored 2 12” JLw3’s and a JL 1000 amp. I also have a new pair of Infinity 693.11i 6x9’s. I’m wanting replace the stock system with this new stuff and then some. I was thinking subs under rear seat in 3.5 cubic ft box, infinity 6x9 in the front doors, replace rear door speakers with pioneer TS-M650 pros and then add some tweeters. Obviously I’ll need more amp for the miss and highs. So I’m looking at 1000 watts of bass and 400 watts of mids, how much tweeter do I need to match? Do I calculate the db for each speaker type based off of the sensitivity/power and try and have them match? As in 112 dB of bass, 112 dB of mid and 112 db of tweeter?

Thanks for any help.

Do you have an aftermarket headunit?

Are you just trying to get loud mids and highs or are you looking for sound quality?

I would get a headunit that is 3 way active or a DSP.
2 6.5" raw drivers for the front doors. ( Silverflute, Dayton, SB Acoustics, etc)
2 soft dome tweeters. ( Massive CT2s, Vifa, Peerless, etc)
A good 100x4 amp. ( US Acoustics BA, NVX 800x4, PPI 900x4, etc)

If you want loud look into pro audio mids like PRV, Eminence, Selenium, etc)
Taramps 4 channels like the DS800x4 or 1200x4 will give you a lot of power and have a tiny foot print.

Run the mids on channel 1 & 2 and tweeters off 3 & 4 or vise versa.

If you want some real fill just ad some coaxial speakers that fit and run them off the headunit. Focus should be on the front stage.

Do you have an aftermarket headunit?

Are you just trying to get loud mids and highs or are you looking for sound quality?

I would get a headunit that is 3 way active or a DSP.
2 6.5" raw drivers for the front doors. ( Silverflute, Dayton, SB Acoustics, etc)
2 soft dome tweeters. ( Massive CT2s, Vifa, Peerless, etc)
A good 100x4 amp. ( US Acoustics BA, NVX 800x4, PPI 900x4, etc)

If you want loud look into pro audio mids like PRV, Eminence, Selenium, etc)
Taramps 4 channels like the DS800x4 or 1200x4 will give you a lot of power and have a tiny foot print.

Run the mids on channel 1 & 2 and tweeters off 3 & 4 or vise versa.

If you want some real fill just ad some coaxial speakers that fit and run them off the headunit. Focus should be on the front stage.
I’m looking for loud sound quality. LOL. SQ is the priority as the stock system had almost plenty of volume with exception of the bass. I do plan to get a new head unit with DSP. I have a 4 channel Kenwood amp already. I think 85 rms /channel at 4 ohms and 100 @ 2 ohms. Thought I might run a separate amp for highs alone. But how much power do I need for the tweeters alone. You mentioned a pair of mids and a pair of tweeters on a 4 channel amp. So does this mean that if I have 200 amps worth of mids I should plan for 200 amps of tweeter? I’m still confused about how to balance the power.

2 6.5's per door on about 100-200w per mid with 2 tweeters per side keeps up well with 155db so no. 112db of mids is nowhere near equivalent to 112db of bass

Now I’m really confused. Where did 155db come from? Please make this simple for me.
I have the 2 12 JLW3’s, @ 1000w rms
How much rms power for front door mids?
How much rms power for rear door mids?
How much rms power for front pillar tweeters?
Should I have any rear tweeters?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.