Audiofrog gb12 box modifications

Participant count
  • Participant list

Leesi207

CarAudio.com Recruit
Maine
I just picked up a new subwoofer. Audiofrog has a few recommended box designs that they suggest. I’m hoping to save some space by compensating for the angle of the backseat, the structural support lip below that, and possibly increasing the height to make use of all the vertical trunk space.
I’m going to include a simple drawing of the cavity I’ll be coping the rear of the box too.

Vehicle :
20 civic si
Location in the vehicle:
Trunk
Space available (Length x Width x Height):
L20 W16 H16
Subwoofer make and model:
Audiofrog GB12D4
Subwoofer Size:
12”
Number of Subwoofers:
Type of Port (Kerfed, Slot, Aero, etc.):
Aero or slot
What type of music do you like?:
Reggae, techno.. and most other genres
Is your goal SPL or Everyday Music?:
SQ-SQL
Tuning Freq (Hz):
33hz
Volume :
? Fairly loud
Questions
Original design specs 1.5 cubic feet, PD 4”, PL 16”
If I keep these dimensions without placing the port to close to the woofer should everything perform the same?
Should I just go sealed, save space and sacrifice a bit of volume.
image.jpg

I just picked up a new subwoofer. Audiofrog has a few recommended box designs that they suggest. I’m hoping to save some space by compensating for the angle of the backseat, the structural support lip below that, and possibly increasing the height to make use of all the vertical trunk space.
I’m going to include a simple drawing of the cavity I’ll be coping the rear of the box too.

Vehicle :
20 civic si
Location in the vehicle:
Trunk
Space available (Length x Width x Height):
L20 W16 H16
Subwoofer make and model:
Audiofrog GB12D4
Subwoofer Size:
12”
Number of Subwoofers:
Type of Port (Kerfed, Slot, Aero, etc.):
Aero or slot
What type of music do you like?:
Reggae, techno.. and most other genres
Is your goal SPL or Everyday Music?:
SQ-SQL
Tuning Freq (Hz):
33hz
Volume :
? Fairly loud
Questions
Original design specs 1.5 cubic feet, PD 4”, PL 16”
If I keep these dimensions without placing the port to close to the woofer should everything perform the same?
Should I just go sealed, save space and sacrifice a bit of volume.View attachment 23657
It would sound the same assuming everything was done correctly. If I went ported I’d tune it around 38 hz since the trunks I’ve always had really boost the lowest frequencies. If you could fit a single 4 inch aero port facing the back like the sub that would work well. I would personally go sealed in a trunk like that because ported tuned to 33hz will mostly give you extra output in the lower freq and trunks already boost those and tend to filter out higher bass frequencies so you would be possibly left with a real low end monster setup just for a few db’s in the lowest frequencies...better have a bass knob because you will not be able to hear sub on the upper bass notes like many kick drums and bass guitars but when a 30-40 hz hip hop tone comes in it will rattle you head off.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.