Attempting to set gains with DMM, but can't reach desired voltage...

So a little update. I set my sub amp with a 40hz -5db tone and I had absolutely no problem reaching the 31v mark with the head unit at 0, and all additional settings on the amp at 0 (using the gain only). I also set my components with a 1000hz -5db tone. I set my low pass filter and high pass filter to balance out the frequencies to get everything sounding nice. So far so good. Thanks again everyone.

Good job man, setting the gains on my 4 chan component amp was quite the challenge as well. Still not confident that I've got it exactly where it should be but it's close.

Close enough for me anyways, thanks for your post I learned a thing or two.

Would upgrading "the big 3" be necessary with my current system?

240w from the mono amp and 320w from my 4 channel amp? ~560w total. The factory amp I replaced was 200w.

I am not experiencing any dimming lights, and my factory alternator is 120a.

Head unit subwoofer controls don't boost the bass signal, they attenuate it. It may read -8 to +8 but electrically, it's -XdB to 0dB. Alpine designates sub out as 0 to 15 and Pioneer calls it -6 to +6 but those are just labels on the display.

The subwoofer output should be flat when setting gains, regardless the test track's recording level.
Jl audio says subwoofer setting on head unit should be 75% up when adjusting gain

Head unit subwoofer controls don't boost the bass signal, they attenuate it. It may read -8 to +8 but electrically, it's -XdB to 0dB. Alpine designates sub out as 0 to 15 and Pioneer calls it -6 to +6 but those are just labels on the display.

The subwoofer output should be flat when setting gains, regardless the test track's recording level.
So would the correct way to set the gains be with the bass set to maximum?

Jl audio says subwoofer setting on head unit should be 75% up when adjusting gain
That's just a general rule to go by because some headunits clip around 80%-90%. Ideally you want to use 100% of your unclipped signal.

So would the correct way to set the gains be with the bass set to maximum?
Yes, you would want to set bass to maximum as long as you don't turn on bass boost.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.