Anyone have experience with a 2004 ford expedition?

Participant count
  • Participants list

mat3833
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
florida
A buddy of mine has an expiditon with the v8. He's been having charging system issues recently and asked me for help. I'm not really a Ford guy, and it's a used vehicle so I'm kinda at a loss. Sometimes the alt will charge fine, solid 14.5v, other times the voltage is down around 10v, sometimes it jumps around from 14-16v. Is there a simple way to fix this? Alt was tested good so I'm guessing it's one of them fancy ECU controlled alternators? Any help would be appreciated, this is the first time I've come across something a quick Google session didnt answer for me.

Matt

Thats what I was going to suggest. The regulator is going bad in the Alternator. I did my brothers ford van not too long ago. He had issues with his alt. He just bought one those cheesy DC alts like a 225 or 250 amp, cant remember? But we changed that up and it was fine. Then he also changed his starting battery to a Duracell AGM, and I did the Big 3 on it and he bought a Smart Pac? Isolator and we put 3 more Duracell Batts inside for some power, and I wired up a couple Solar Panels and we put in a sinewave 2500 watt Invertor in. Its a 2006 f250 van I believe. No issues since

looks like a bad voltage regulator. It aint supposed to be jumping around from 10-16v.

I feel like an idiot now. They use an external voltage regulator don't they? Would a bad voltage regulator work fine for 3 months, then crap out for a week, then work fine for a month, then be weird for a day, etc?

This has been an on-off issue for about a year now. He replaced the battery, had the alternator checked, and some kind of module for the alternator (still waiting on specifics). I'll relay the info and see if he can grab a Regulator and try it.

Matt

I feel like an idiot now. They use an external voltage regulator don't they? Would a bad voltage regulator work fine for 3 months, then crap out for a week, then work fine for a month, then be weird for a day, etc?

This has been an on-off issue for about a year now. He replaced the battery, had the alternator checked, and some kind of module for the alternator (still waiting on specifics). I'll relay the info and see if he can grab a Regulator and try it.

Matt
Yes they use voltage regulators.

I dont know wtf is wrong with Ford alternators. When they go out, they do so in a weird fashion.

I had a 2000 expo that had similar problems with the alternator. I had a major failure elsewhere in the suv and so it sat on the drive way for 4 months. Tried to get it running again and the voltage regulator was completely dead for no reason at all.

Yes they use voltage regulators.

I dont know wtf is wrong with Ford alternators. When they go out, they do so in a weird fashion.

I had a 2000 expo that had similar problems with the alternator. I had a major failure elsewhere in the suv and so it sat on the drive way for 4 months. Tried to get it running again and the voltage regulator was completely dead for no reason at all.

The Regulator for my car is built into the harness, I keep forgetting that VAG cars are fucktarded sometimes.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...