Anyone ever have their subs tear apart the rear deck speakers?

Participant count
  • Participant list

sounds_explicit

Senior VIP Member
Ive had my setup playing nicely for month or so now. The other day i was listening and it sounded quiet on the next song. So when i got home i stuck my head in the bad and noticed only 1 rear deck speaker was playing. So I tore apart the back seat and removed one and noticed under the cone where it connects to the spider that it literally tore it from that area , separated the cone from spider.. the port was passenger side facing trunk , which also was the same side that speaker ripped. I'm thinking the pressure caused the outward flex as the speaker tried pulling itself in as music was playing which pretty much over exerted the speaker. I have them set at 125 hz they are getting the rms or just a little more so I know I didn't over power them.. i ordered 2 new rear 6.5 and I am going to pull them once they get here and do a warranty on them. And out them in my other car. But after I get these new ones. I have a pair of foam baffles would they help them from doing this again? I hate to only have a front stage. To me a front stage sounds good but at the same time it also sounds weird like I'm missing speakers.

Yes that can happen to rear deck speakers. You’re not missing anything by removing rear fill. You’re just dumping money into something that’s not needed. Hell, taking the rear deck speakers out of my Mustang allowed the bass to travel inside so much more. If you feel like something is missing with just front stage then do some work on eq and positioning.

Yes that can happen to rear deck speakers. You’re not missing anything by removing rear fill. You’re just dumping money into something that’s not needed. Hell, taking the rear deck speakers out of my Mustang allowed the bass to travel inside so much more. If you feel like something is missing with just front stage then do some work on eq and positioning.
Yea I literally only have 1 inch tweeter in a pillar and 6.5 in front doors. I dknt really like the idea of cutting and adding hole to add more speaker in the front. Or making panels. Not even sure if it would sound good with just front stage 6.5 and a powerful tweeter. I've dumped a lot into the speakers themselves. I'm kind of done spending money for now. This new setup everything is new wiring speakers boxes amps alt voltage regulators batteries etc. I've spent about 3500-4k I'm just about done with this untill I get bored with this after a few years.im not really chasing super sq. I just want them loud and clear which they have been. I have some hearing loss from shooting guns back in the day. So I'm not sure if I can properly tell if something is a bit off eq wise. Which is why I havent done much of that aspect. High frequencies make my ears buzz even at lower volume. Even the sound of a tattoo gun makes my ears buzz.

Hertz audio 6.5 front doors. And rear deck. Tweets in the a pillar are stock for now. Having trouble finding some that will fit oem specs that I like which is why I havent done them yet. 2 american bass xr12's in. 5.5 cubed box at 33 hz on a 3k for now. I have a 5k coming end of the month hertz are running at 4 ohm each on each channel on my rockford 600.4 untill i find a way to add some more speakers without heavily nodding my doors or whatnot gunna stick with the 4 for now.

Shoulda went pro audio all active networks and got better results for your needs and saved half hour budget buying hertz... You havent heard a real front stage yet if you feel like you are missing speakers.

Shoulda went pro audio all active networks and got better results for your needs and saved half hour budget buying hertz... You havent heard a real front stage yet if you feel like you are missing speakers.
I agree. I had prv in the front and the rear. But I blew the fronts and rears of the prv over powering them. So I switched to hertz . They get loud but not like them prvs. I'm gunna end up removing all the hertz and putting them in my evo since that cars speakers are just trash and they are all 6.5 and tweets they fit fine. I ordered skars pro audio 6.5 for replacing the ones in my impala. Going to try them out see how I like them. I'll warranty the hertz and place them in my mother car like said. I remember when I put in the prv just in the front doors and I was impressed how loud it was for just 2 6.5 in each front door. I'm gunna order some tweets for the a pillar soon as I find ones that will fit the spot without having to mod the location. Imo hertz are trash. Always willing to try diff brands so I guess this one was a fail at my liking .

imma fan of good comps upfront, sub in the trunk. no rears at all. i always take the rear deck speakers out. subs can ruin them and removing them lets the subs bass vent into the cabin

my setup. paid around $1,200 for everything...

Rear deck speakers are generally designed to perform in an infinite baffle alignment. Adding those small foam baffles will kill their low end performance and any chance of working well as rear fill. Even if you are a proponent of rear fill.

imma fan of good comps upfront, sub in the trunk. no rears at all. i always take the rear deck speakers out. subs can ruin them and removing them lets the subs bass vent into the cabin

my setup. paid around $1,200 for everything...

View attachment 23003

View attachment 23004

View attachment 23005
It looks good but your sub would hit twice as hard rear firing if its sealed ...if its ported it still should hit harder ..since your amp is mounted to the box maybe do something with a view of the amp through the ski port ..your sound will still vent through and partially help cool amp in the process ...a little led light strip mounted above amp would high light it while ski port is open....and give it a nice subtle touch at night

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.