Anybody have personal experience with cresendo audio pwx 6.5" midranges in a SQ build

masterblaster1

CarAudio.com Recruit
Manitoba
I have checked out quite a few reviews on these crescendo audio 6.5" midranges,and not one bad review on them,All reviewers say how shocked they are in the build quality,and most reviews always come back saying they are very loud and very clear and just get louder and clear the more you turn up the volume,and never distort. No one ever talks about the detail they produce,as compared to say an audiofrog gd60 midrange that most consider the gold standard for high volume sound quality builds. I know from experience with my crown pro audio xls 2500 amplifier that indeed pro audio stuff can sound easily as good as the high dollar boutique amps. All videos just show how loud they can sound from as far away from your car. I am interested as I'm sure as most other serious sound quality stereo builders here how loud ,full detailed ,and clear they can stay at very high volume levels. Do any of you guys or gals have experience with what they sound like when used for sound quality builds with all high end sound quality components used.thanks

Hi, Can you elaborate more on when it comes to sound quality midrange, you have a (no) on that. Explain in detail what it is not doing in your sound quality build to get that no rating

Thanks for some clarification on this I,ve always had good luck myself with light papercone midranges for high volume sound quality listening.Was hoping the technology was better now ,and mabe carbon fiber had caught up to paper cone. What do dynaudio esotar and audiofrog gb 60 use for their cones,and what makes them sound so darn good,Some times paying huge prices doesn't equate to better sound quality,But I have never heard someone say that a dynaudio esotar tweeter or midrange or audiofrog gb sounded bad ,and didn't justify the price. Those are the midranges I am trying to equal in sound quality without the huge price they constantly go for. I am not cheap,just always looking to see if there is a unknown midrange that not many people know about that equals either of those brands or comes very close.

I was hoping you would with all your experience here and real world listening experience recommend a 6.5" midrange driver that are close to the audiofrog gb 60 and dynaudio esotar midrange for sound quality. that are a lot lower in price range if this is possible. Usually this is not possible,But if anybody would know,I'm sure someone with 10+ years must know that hidden cheaper gem midrange that is darn close to those two.

If you want decent midbass and midrange, you gotta pay that price or step up in size. Especially in the PA world, trade off of efficiency and bandwidth.

Beyma makes a nice 6.5 that has a pretty solid bandwidth, the 6g40nd, they go for about $150 a piece. Stevens SA6 is a solid mid as well, more grunt down low and still pretty clean up top and nowhere near AF/Dyn pricing.

I run the Stevens MB8, and that thing screams from 75-1500. Loud, clear, dynamic... the best mid I've used yet, like a full on garage/jam session in my truck.

Also, the cones arent made out of *heavy* fiberglass. Its light. Pro audio speakers are as efficient as they are due to their low MMS (low moving mass) and low CMS (tight suspension). These two, along with cone area determine sensitivity. This is how pro audio speakers are made to be loud, with the drawback of not being able to play low. The reason these arent good for a sound quality oriented install is partially because they cant play low, but also due to the super cheap design. The motor is most likely some ******** off the shelf design that has nothing to it, and the dustcap/cone/surround design have nothing done to make sure that frequency response and distortion is kept in check.

Remember, the cone material itself doesnt determine if something sounds good or not. Its not even a super large factor. It mostly just determines MMS and the drivers targeted passband due to cone breakup. And the problem with raw drivers is that they are typically not designed for IB applications (like a door), and will fall flat on their face at lower frequencies without a sealed or vented enclosure. They also do not withstand the environment very well.

Also, the cones arent made out of *heavy* fiberglass. Its light. Pro audio speakers are as efficient as they are due to their low MMS (low moving mass) and low CMS (tight suspension). These two, along with cone area determine sensitivity. This is how pro audio speakers are made to be loud, with the drawback of not being able to play low. The reason these arent good for a sound quality oriented install is partially because they cant play low, but also due to the super cheap design. The motor is most likely some ******** off the shelf design that has nothing to it, and the dustcap/cone/surround design have nothing done to make sure that frequency response and distortion is kept in check.

Remember, the cone material itself doesnt determine if something sounds good or not. Its not even a super large factor. It mostly just determines MMS and the drivers targeted passband due to cone breakup. And the problem with raw drivers is that they are typically not designed for IB applications (like a door), and will fall flat on their face at lower frequencies without a sealed or vented enclosure. They also do not withstand the environment very well.
Thanks for your guys update on this thread.
Sounds like you get what you pay for, like usual. I was hoping for once, not to pay a small fortune on one of the components for my sound quality build. Seems like I always half to take a huge gamble on a product I want,Since I just live in a tiny town here and no one runs a SQ stereo other than me, Even in the closest big city they have no audiofrog Gb 40 and GB60 midranges to audition. Though most people on the forums say they are the best of the best of midranges,even surpassing the mighty dynaudio esotar. midranges which can't be auditioned here either. Are the audio frog gb 40 and 60 really the best sounding when really turned up very loud,or have they even been bettered in high volume sound quality.

I have checked out quite a few reviews on these crescendo audio 6.5" midranges,and not one bad review on them,All reviewers say how shocked they are in the build quality,and most reviews always come back saying they are very loud and very clear and just get louder and clear the more you turn up the volume,and never distort. No one ever talks about the detail they produce,as compared to say an audiofrog gd60 midrange that most consider the gold standard for high volume sound quality builds. I know from experience with my crown pro audio xls 2500 amplifier that indeed pro audio stuff can sound easily as good as the high dollar boutique amps. All videos just show how loud they can sound from as far away from your car. I am interested as I'm sure as most other serious sound quality stereo builders here how loud ,full detailed ,and clear they can stay at very high volume levels. Do any of you guys or gals have experience with what they sound like when used for sound quality builds with all high end sound quality components used.thanks
they are better as dedicated midbass, their upper midrange performance is weak. Despite what these people claim, Any actual time with the pwx they'd know that they arent typical pro audio drivers. They are less loud than typical pro audio drivers and play a lot deeper however the upper midrange suffers a lot. Which is why a lot of the loud crowd prefers the UN series to have it keep up with their system. the PWX would work fine as a dedicated midbass but not a 2 in one midbass/midrange driver.

my buddy cscstang (used to build enclosures on this forum) has had the stevens audio mb8 that he upgraded from the pwx 8, thats paired with audiofrog 6.5s and tweeters in his 3 way active setup. the pwx hands down has GLOBS more midbass than the stevens audio in a direct swap, like not even close, like a prius vs a shelby cobra. The stevens took awhile to tune but its cleaner and controlled but no where near the impact of the pwx. With the pwx you can literally turn off the high pass filter and not even run subs and **** on some systems with a small dedicated sub. To be fair, his doors are perfect for midbass from the start pre treatment and with amazing sound treatment on top, it took it over the edge. However all that heftyness is gone with the stevens mb8 upgrade but thats what he was willing to trade off. The system sounded a lot warmer but somewhat muddier with the pwx, the stevens doesnt have that level of warmth but has more accuracy and clearer/brighter with better separation of instruments and soundstage. Pick your poison.

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.