Any Pioneer DEH-80PRS owners here?

I'm guessing the 80PRS can't be updated with current "software"? Kinda like updating computer or playstation gaming console. And as I type this would need some sort of internet connection. Maybe that's it....internet port to be able to update software to HU..
Wow, has it ever had an update in the past, and shouldn't an update be possible via USB?

Love my 80prs. I have no need to replace it. The face plate is a bit flimsy tho so be careful pressing the buttons. First day I had it in my car, I kept playing around with all the buttons because I was trying to tune the active crossovers. Within an hour or so, I ended up breaking the left side knob handle off from hitting it back and forth so much. And then I found out I could do everything thru the remote! I was mind blown. Including all the other goodies in there that continue to surprise me. I don't even mind that I broke off the left side knob thing. If anything it looks unique now, I kinda like it. Sometimes I just use my right side knob and pull it backwards if i feel like doing it manually. If only I had read the manual, I would've knew to use the remote right away. But oh well, I don't care. It's totally worth it's price and more. 
Can't wait for it to arrive. Watched a video about it, and from what I saw it has two modes it can be installed with. Plus I don't mind tweaking and tuning. I'm excited that I chose to go with the 80 Prs.

Good for CD's but not much else. A mech-less version with better bluetooth and FLAC capabilities. HD Radio should be standard. Are those Burr-Brown 24-bit D/A still considered top of the line today?
You'll have to ask Jeff that question. He knows more about this HU better than me. Once I get at it and learn everything about it, it'll take time, but in due time.

Good for CD's but not much else. A mech-less version with better bluetooth and FLAC capabilities. HD Radio should be standard. Are those Burr-Brown 24-bit D/A still considered top of the line today?
Burr Brown Op-amps are generally still considered top of the line yes, however there are quite a few others that are comparable produced by other big manufacturers of semiconductors

there's not much more SQ to be had from the dac as its pretty up there and you'll run into severe diminishing returns while driving product cost up so high without low performance returns. but the bluetooth codec and flac capabilities like I outlined earlier is definitely due for improvement.  Parametric EQ would be amazing as well.

I have the 80 and older model 880. I like the older model better but use the 80 due to bluetooth. An updated model would be awesome to see. Better bluetooth range would be cool to. I plan to remount my hu behind my wall and leave volume and media controls up to my phone to prevent bass issues.

Personally,i didnt like it.only reason i tried it was because the ipod menu was a little easier to navigate over the 9835 which has been my favorite hu of all time..the only hu i like better in a double din is the kenwood ddx396....what i dont understand about the 80prs is why they made the wires on the harness so small.this.is imo.i would give anything if alpine made a double din version of the 9835 with current ipod capabilty.

Last edited:
You may ever try like Old School stereo for sale on F.Book and ask for one. I sold mine a few years back. I run Kenwoods/JVCs, and Alpines and older Eclipse 5v-8v HUs now. You might take a look at some of the new Sony HUs as some of the higher units have a 3 yr warranty I believe

I have this head-unit on the way. I have yet to hear anything but the best about this head unit. Can't wait to install it. Does anyone here own one?View attachment 4279
Yes. I also have a DEH 880PRS too, Burr Brown DAC's in all their tonal glory!
Will have to go into a state of morning if and when they die. Then I’ll probably go into debt to get a Carrozzeria unit to replace one or the other!

Update... S H I T !!! Blind following the blind! Now, where's that goat?

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

BassLord808

CarAudio.com Newbie
BassLord808
Fenton, MI
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies