Angled Speaker Rings

Participant count
  • Participant list
That really interests me. Do you have anything that you've seen that stands out? As far as how they engineer that in? It seems to me it would largely be around cone angular design, for "dispersion", if you will.
It has been a long time but the Madisound type stuff that people over at DIYMA typically use usually gets enough notice by reviewers with the measuring rooms and equipment to post those kinds of graphs.
A bit of looking on Google turned up this as an example:

You can see that 30-45 degrees off axis seems to be the sweet spot for the flattest response.

As to how one goes about cone geometry or other design factors that effect this it's above my pay grade, but I strongly suspect the popular premium car audio brands take this into consideration since they know that the vast majority of people buying them are just going to drop them into factory locations and listen off-axis.

It has been a long time but the Madisound type stuff that people over at DIYMA typically use usually gets enough notice by reviewers with the measuring rooms and equipment to post those kinds of graphs.
A bit of looking on Google turned up this as an example:

You can see that 30-45 degrees off axis seems to be the sweet spot for the flattest response.

As to how one goes about cone geometry or other design factors that effect this it's above my pay grade, but I strongly suspect the popular premium car audio brands take this into consideration since they know that the vast majority of people buying them are just going to drop them into factory locations and listen off-axis.

It just has to be the cone angle and the way the speaker pushes out as it moves. You have to produce the sound of axis from the speaker movement, at an angle or multiple ones, is what it seems like.

It just has to be the cone angle and the way the speaker pushes out as it moves. You have to produce the sound of axis from the speaker movement, at an angle or multiple ones, is what it seems like.
Reading down the page suggests that different flanges create different responses as well and I'm sure phase plugs do something for one thing or another.

Reading down the page suggests that different flanges create different responses as well and I'm sure phase plugs do something for one thing or another.

Armchair engineering tells me to look at explosive shape charges as a reference. All a speaker is doing is projecting a small controlled explosion or vacuum in front of it. Just like a shaped charge, the shape, angle, and depth of the charge area(cone and basket in this case) change how the blast propagates from the source.

I can throw up some sources If yall want. The comparison makes sense in my brain.

I can throw up some sources If yall want. The comparison makes sense in my brain.
Probably fluid dynamics for both. Again, above my pay grade, but considering even the "best" loudspeakers are still far from deal flat at any listening angle, the whole project is probably far more complex than can be simply modeled.

Probably fluid dynamics for both. Again, above my pay grade, but considering even the "best" loudspeakers are still far from deal flat at any listening angle, the whole project is probably far more complex than can be simply modeled.
Well Yea, air and pressure waves are fluid dynamics. Modeling the dispersion of a single frequency is easy, once you start adding in a full speaker range, **** gets wacky.

I'm looking into a 3 way front stage now. I've always preferred titanium tweeters aimed off-axis across the dash. Now I have to possibly contend with a 3" midrange that is supposed to be aimed at your face in combination with my preferred off-axis tweeter. This is going to be FUN!

Matt

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...