Android Auto questions (GPS Reception)

Participant count
  • Participant list

ThxOne
Premium Member

The Boss
I have the Kenwood eXcelon DMX706S and it can be used with Android Auto when and only when wired to my phone (no wireless AA on this unit). I use it all day long as I am a delivery driver. Here are the issues and the questions. I have a Garmin stand alone GPS (Connects to satellites every time even on cloudy days but does not find all roads or addresses about 20% of the time - annoying) The I use my LG G5 mounted on the dash securely and connected to my 706S via USB (Finds every road 99% of the time but take a while to connect to satellites and loses satellites easily) but when it is connected it is PERFECT.

My questions are, if I get something like the Garmin GLO satellite receiver and connect it to my phone via bluetooth and then my phone to my head unit via the usb... will this solve my satellite reception issue? Will it even work this way? I know the phone connects to the head unit via blutooth so I can use Google Assistant while driving... which I do as well and LG says up to two devices can be connected to the phone at the same time via bluetooth. Any thoughts or experience?

I ordered the Garmin Glo after doing some research. Things needed, The Garmin Glo, My Cell Phone, An app for the phone. From my research I will download the Bluetooth GPS app. Then in developer options in the phone, enable Mock Location - Bluetooth GPS App. Connect the Garmin via BT to the Cell Phone, Open the BT app in the phone, adjust a few settings and the phone will now use the Garmin for its GPS signal. Now plug the phone into the Kenwood via the USB cable and Android Auto will turn on and I should now have a reliable GPS signal. 🤞

Will update after the Garmin gets here.

I spent the last 2 hours using the Garmin GLO satellite receiver. I started by opening the app on my phone that shows how many satellites I am connected to. I did this at my desk, in my room. It showed I was connected to NO satellites with my phone, in my room, at my desk. I paired the Garmin GLO to the phone via BT, did the necessary settings and enabled the Garmin in my phone. In less than two seconds I got 4 satellites and in 5 seconds total, 11 satellites in the green, in my room, at my desk.

Off to Walmart. Got some outdoor peal and stick hook and loop fastener from Velcro. Trimmed it and stuck it to the dash then mounted the GLO. Hooked everything up as needed and selected an address on my Android Auto head unit. Off I went. Almost instantaneously the round position marker on the screen turned to an arrow as I began to drive. This is a good thing. I canceled the navigation then said "Ok Google" and the head unit responded appropriately. I said "Navigate to Publix" it confirmed and began the navigation.

I tried several different addresses and not one address had any issues with GPS navigation, no pauses, no reacquiring, nothing negative period. The real test comes tomorrow at work which is where I use my GPS. Not bad results for something smaller than the palm of my hand.

First the phone you are using is old and not updated anymore. If you want better connection update to android pie or 10.

Next download gps status on the phone and possibly download a cracked or use the free version to aquire gps faster on the phone.

First the phone you are using is old and not updated anymore. If you want better connection update to android pie or 10.

Next download gps status on the phone and possibly download a cracked or use the free version to aquire gps faster on the phone.
It's all good now. However, even with the latest "Flagship" phone running the latest OS, and third party apps, it will never be as good as a stand alone GPS receiver for connecting to satellites. The OS or apps have nothing to do with the physical GPS antenna in a cell phone which is comical compared to a stand alone unit. I also use the GLONASS satellites along with the US GPS satellites. I am not aware of any cell phones that do that.

It's like people who buy a Honda Civic to go drag racing with... sure it will do it but a car designed specifically for drag racing will do it much better.

It's all good now. However, even with the latest "Flagship" phone running the latest OS, and third party apps, it will never be as good as a stand alone GPS receiver for connecting to satellites. The OS or apps have nothing to do with the physical GPS antenna in a cell phone which is comical compared to a stand alone unit. I also use the GLONASS satellites along with the US GPS satellites. I am not aware of any cell phones that do that.

It's like people who buy a Honda Civic to go drag racing with... sure it will do it but a car designed specifically for drag racing will do it much better.

Im a leading android developer in xda if you are aware of xda community.

Anyway gps devices are dedicated to connecting to gps sattelites, but cell phones use not only a dedicated gps chip but also a-gps via carrier network.

So in reality a cell phone will get you as exact to a 5 meter location compared to a gps which will only get you 50 meter gps location.

But gps devices connect within seconds compared to phones depending on configuration.

Glonass is only an alternative satellite system for when US available gps sattelites are out of reach.

I am aware of XDA for several years. Been a member since 2011.

Cell phones use cheaper components that fit in a cellphone, I know they use a-gps as well. They also only refresh at 1hz. 1 time a second. That 5 meter (16ft) accuracy is best case in direct view of the clear sky while stationary and around so many cell towers you can feel the cancer growing in your balls. Cell phone GPS's have speed limitations as well.

You are way waaaaay off on the accuracy of a stand alone GPS receiver. 50 meters? Really, that is a 164 foot circle. Today my stand alone GPS unit got down to an accuracy of 5.7ft that is 1.73 meters. This unit also refreshes at 10hz. 10 times a second making it 10 times faster than your phone.

Last edited:
I am aware of XDA for several years.

Cell phones use cheaper components that fit in a cellphone, I know they use a-gps as well. They also only refresh at 1hz. 1 time a second. That 5 meter (16ft) accuracy is best case in direct view of the clear sky while stationary and around so many cell towers you can feel the cancer growing in your balls. Cell phone GPS's have speed limitations as well.

You are way waaaaay off on the accuracy of a stand alone GPS receiver. 50 meters? Really, that is a 164 foot circle. Today my stand alone GPS unit got down to an accuracy of 5.7ft that is 1.73 meters. This unit also refreshes at 10hz. 10 times a second making it 10 times faster than your phone.

Before we go measuring cocks here on knowledge the newer snapdragon 845 & 855 offer compatibility using galileo signals using dual gnss.

Which offer upto 1ft accuracy, 10x the speed of connection than a normal US satellite gps unit.

Might want to read up better before trying to go technical on the signal speed and dimension specifications

I have been using the Garmin Glo for several days now. There have been no issues connecting to satellites. Turn by turn is right on and happens when it is supposed to happen. Android Auto on the other hand is not the most stable app out there. Many times when I start the car, Android Auto will not start up. I will get an error saying "Device Not Supported" Annoying. When it works it works great.

I also did some research, though limited, on the Galileo EU Satellites and being able to access them legally in the U.S. There is apparently a lot of red tape involved with that between Europe and the United States. So just because some of our phones in the U.S. may be able to use the Galileo Sat's doesn't mean they are. Also, my "old phone" uses GPS and a-GPS and still can't touch my stand alone receiver.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.