Android auto issues - Jensen head unit

Participant count
  • Participant list

phillyman2633

CarAudio.com Newbie
Philly
Hey guys,

I have a 2015 Jeep Wrangler Sahara and removed the stock Uconnect receiver and installed a Jensen CAR710W which has wireless Android Auto/Apple Car Play capability. Most functions of the receiver work fine...radio functions and most of the Android Auto functions work properly (maps, music, etc...). However, one thing that I am having an issue with is phone calls/any sort of "OK Google" function, like if I want to say "Ok, Google, play rock music." When Google starts talking back to me, the voice that comes out of the speakers is muffled, as though the Google Assistant is talking through a pillow. Also, I am having a really tough time having the microphone pick up what I'm saying (it's the 3.5mm plug-in mic that came with the Jensen unit that I attached to my dash). It misunderstands 70% of what I say (so I barely use it) and for some reason, I can't make phone calls with my Android Auto. If I physically use my phone to call a contact, the call will appear on the receiver as though it's going through but then nothing will play through my speakers. I test called my wife and the call went through but when she picked up, she couldn't hear me and I couldn't hear her. It was connected but no audio was going or coming.

This is super frustrating, I checked all the connections and everything seems to be connected fine and like I said, all of the normal audio functions work properly...radio, Spotify, etc...

Thanks in advance for reading

I haven't used a Jensen head unit in about 10 years but they always worked pretty well for me for the money. Wish I could tell you if this was a common problem with those but I've had hit or miss results with Android Auto even with more expensive head units. It may be as easy as they just use a cheap mic or there's some setting.... if you can figure out your answer do post back because someone will probably ask again.

I haven't used a Jensen head unit in about 10 years but they always worked pretty well for me for the money. Wish I could tell you if this was a common problem with those but I've had hit or miss results with Android Auto even with more expensive head units. It may be as easy as they just use a cheap mic or there's some setting.... if you can figure out your answer do post back because someone will probably ask again.
So I actually just got off the phone with Crutchfield since they're the ones I bought the head unit from...as soon as I explained the issue to the Tech Advisor he said "I know exactly what the issue is," something about the channels being wired incorrectly and that I needed to swap the fronts to the rears...he said I need to wire the "Whites to the greens" and the "Grays to the purples" so I'm going to open the dash back up when I have a couple of hours and see if I can figure that out haha.

So I actually just got off the phone with Crutchfield since they're the ones I bought the head unit from...as soon as I explained the issue to the Tech Advisor he said "I know exactly what the issue is," something about the channels being wired incorrectly and that I needed to swap the fronts to the rears...he said I need to wire the "Whites to the greens" and the "Grays to the purples" so I'm going to open the dash back up when I have a couple of hours and see if I can figure that out haha.

Crutchfield is really good about that sort of thing. Not the cheapest prices but you know where your money went if you ever have any technical issues. Rest assured they'll sort you out in getting that functional or getting you a unit that does shake hands with your phone properly if you bought from them.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...