Amps only getting 2 volts to both remote and power terminals

BeerChugger69

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hi! I was driving around about 2 days ago while playing loud music for a pretty long time until suddenly my mids and tweeters stopped making noise for a little bit (my subwoofer was still smacking). I turned the volume off and thought that maybe it had overheated or something. The next day I was playing music just fine at low volume when suddenly both the bass and the rest of the sound frequencies completely vanished and didn't come back. I then checked all the connections and fuses and they were fine. when I got home I discovered that both my remote and power terminals were getting only 2 volts... What could be causing this?

Sounds like a bad ground. Unhook the remote and power from amp and measure voltage. With vehicle off it should be 12v on power and 0 on remote, with vehicle on should be 12v on both. If that checks out good then its probably in the amp.

Sounds like a bad ground. Unhook the remote and power from amp and measure voltage. With vehicle off it should be 12v on power and 0 on remote, with vehicle on should be 12v on both. If that checks out good then its probably in the amp.

I would totally tend to think this is a ground issue, as well.

Thanks for the recommendations! Today i measured the voltage again with the ignition off and it got 12 volts to the power terminal, but when i turn the key on it drops to 2.... I have no idea how this is possible as the powerwire comes straight from the battery and the battery's voltage doesnt change when i turn the ignition on. The turn on still gets 2 volts aswell and the ground is good.

Thanks for the recommendations! Today i measured the voltage again with the ignition off and it got 12 volts to the power terminal, but when i turn the key on it drops to 2.... I have no idea how this is possible as the powerwire comes straight from the battery and the battery's voltage doesnt change when i turn the ignition on. The turn on still gets 2 volts aswell and the ground is good.
Check the lugs at the distribution block. If no block, disconnect the sub amplifier and test the full range amplifier.

What gauge wire are you running? Where are you picking the remote wire from? A basic 2 amp power set up should be at least a 4 gauge from battery to a distribution block, I usually use a fused distribution block for power and non fused for ground. The remote wire should run through a relay if turning on multiple amps. When testing for voltage measure between + and - at the amp then + to ground preferably where the connection is made to frame/chassis.

What gauge wire are you running? Where are you picking the remote wire from? A basic 2 amp power set up should be at least a 4 gauge from battery to a distribution block, I usually use a fused distribution block for power and non fused for ground. The remote wire should run through a relay if turning on multiple amps. When testing for voltage measure between + and - at the amp then + to ground preferably where the connection is made to frame/chassis.
I have 2 gauge wire running from the battery to the distribution block in the trunk and from there it's 4 gauge running to the amps. I have 2 turn on wires, one for each amp and i checked the voltage as you instructed, but still only getting 2 volts when the ignition is on (6 when the ignition is off for some reason which makes no sense since the power wire has nothing to do with the ignotion).

I finally got it fixed! I tried running a wire from the negative battery terminal to the ground distribution block and that fixed the issue. Now i just need to find a better grounding spot. It's strange that it stopped working out of no where because i have used that exact grounding spot for over a year now with no issue. Thank you all for your time and the suggestions.

I finally got it fixed! I tried running a wire from the negative battery terminal to the ground distribution block and that fixed the issue. Now i just need to find a better grounding spot. It's strange that it stopped working out of no where because i have used that exact grounding spot for over a year now with no issue. Thank you all for your time and the suggestions.
Wow!! I was leaning towards bad cells in your battery to be honest. I was going to tell you to pull that battery and have it tested on a load, Thanks for letting others know your issues and the resolution of them

When you do find a new Ground spot look for something existing that is tapped. If nothing like that is available make sure you cleanthe area to bare metal and nut and bolt with a lock washer. DO NOT use a self tapping screw

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...