Amped up!

Please don’t use D4S if you buy Sundown. Sundown will offer a solid warranty for an off the shelf Chinese product (I am a fan of sundown). Rockford is always solid. JL is always solid. For the power you’re running I don’t think you can go wrong.

Why did you mention your occupation? Are you asking which amp is best for that sub or which will get you more views?
When I said Youtuber, I did not mean to imply that that was my occupation, lol, it most definitely is not. I uploaded a video about four years ago just to be able to show it to different friends on a shared platform. From there I added a video every now and then on simple how-to projects and tricks I learned by trial and error.

For my next few videos, I am going to share my experience on sound insulating a truck and then upgrading the stock stereo bit by bit. Whenever I do a project, Youtube or not, I like to gather a sizeable amount of information about every aspect of the venture so I can make better decisions. It's my belief that carefully gathered information is valuable and an asset to someone contemplating a similar project.

My channel is less than a thousand subscribers and I have not made one penny off it and will likely not make any money off it for years if ever. So to answer your question, I gather info to share freely with anyone that will take the time to view the video. In the process, I learn as I go. For instance, I leaned that often the problem with sub installs is that they are either under powered or over powered. That's the reason I am here and getting input on the amps that I believe would be a good fit.

If I present information that makes sense and opens options, in this example, which amps would work best to satisfy the sub, then everything is gravy. I have not and will not make a video or present content simply to generate "views". Kinda passionate in that way.

I do appreciate everyone's input and always give credit where credit is due.

Ok, time to get off my soap box 🎬

Got another question about signal to noise ratio that I didn't get a good grasp on by looking at the google threads. I gathered that a good signal to noise ratio for an amplifier is around 90db. The higher the better, so a 95 or 100db rating is better. So why are some amplifiers rated with a negative db score and how does that compare with the positive values? For instance, the MMATS is rated at -90db signal to noise ratio.

Something else that caught my attention is the frequency response. The values I usually see are something along the lines of 20Hz – 20000Hz +- 1dB, but again the MMATS has a stated frequency response of 10Hz – 300Hz +- 1dB? Does that mean it has no output above 300Hz? Obviously I'm missing something here. Anyone?

I don’t think their s/n ratio is meant to be a negative number. The higher the better but you’ll open a can of worms about really hearing any difference.
Frequency response is the amps ability to play a frequency range. For a sub, you do not need something that’s up to 20k hz. Most subs are crossed around 80-100 hz.

Got another question about signal to noise ratio that I didn't get a good grasp on by looking at the google threads. I gathered that a good signal to noise ratio for an amplifier is around 90db. The higher the better, so a 95 or 100db rating is better. So why are some amplifiers rated with a negative db score and how does that compare with the positive values? For instance, the MMATS is rated at -90db signal to noise ratio.

Something else that caught my attention is the frequency response. The values I usually see are something along the lines of 20Hz – 20000Hz +- 1dB, but again the MMATS has a stated frequency response of 10Hz – 300Hz +- 1dB? Does that mean it has no output above 300Hz? Obviously I'm missing something here. Anyone?
I wouldn't get hung up on any of that as none of it will matter or make an audible difference for your application. You'll never hear the difference between S:N (assuming they're all even entirely honest specs measured apples to apples) and you will never want to play over 300hz into a subwoofer.

All the amps you listed are reputable and should get you about the same place, with the exception of the Sundown which is going to be a good bit more powerful but is certainly not near as nice as many of the others.

That said JL 500/1 is an absolute monster in the 500W category and the #1 best selling amp of all time (and for a reason). They are very good; I'm not a guy who would normally break out the pom poms for JL, but that would be my top choice in that power range.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

EricTundra

CarAudio.com Newbie
EricTundra
Los Angeles
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from