Amp to run one Jl 10w7ae-3

Participant count
  • Participants list

speros T.

Hey first time poster. I just bought the 2016 Mercedes Benz C63 S Amg Sedan with the upgraded burmester sound system. I want to install one 10w7ae-3, nothing crazy just something to add a little bump (previously drove an escalade ext with three 12w6's). I wanna stick with a Jl amp so ive got a few questions...

1) Which would be better for sound quality as im not too worried about slamming. The slash 600/1v3 or the HD 750/1

2) Should i have my local shop build a custom box or should i go with the one Jl makes (CLS110RG-W7AE)

thanks for the input

First of all, congratz on your new car and welcome to the CA forum.

To answer your questions:

1. Getting the slash 600/1 vs hd 750/1 is not gonna make much of a difference SQ wise. It's more about install and enclosure. I would probably get the slash amp because they are a better design from what I hear. I would go with a bigger amp if possible since the w7 can handle more power than that. You should think about getting the w6 instead if you're only running around 600w. The w6 is more SQ oriented than the w7 but just not as loud so it's worth looking into if you're not worried about output.

2. If you go to a local shop, they will most likely rip you off. JL prefabs are also overpriced and you can get a better enclosure for much cheaper IMO. I would go with a experience box builder on this forum near your area. Try @Boomsday or @Che&\#1071;RyMan first since they're in the east coast. Or my go to guy is @CSCStang but he's in the west coast.

Are you trying to go sealed or ported for this setup?

Thanks Blazian that makes sense. As of now i'm thinking sealed, but thats mainly based on my personal preference. I still have my old system, so do you think one or two of the 12w6's would be better than my original idea of the one 10w7? For my old system i enjoyed setting off the neighborhood car alarms, but now im strictly concerned with having the best sound quality.

The Slash and HD amps use the same tech but the slash has a better crossover section. Even though it's a SVC 3 ohm you are not stuck with only JL amps. You can find a strong 1500 at 2ohm amp which will be cheaper. And just as good.

As said, have a experienced builder do the box. They will know to go larger than JLs recommended specs. That's what you want. Whatever JL says add .25-.5 cubes

Ported is better than sealed in every way

Yea I would choose ported every time if possible. It just feels like such a waste of money to buy 2 JL subs and put them in a sealed box. You can outperform 2 subs of the same driver and same power with 1 sub just by going ported. Not only loudness but also the bringing in more low end extension, giving you more playable bandwidth. When people say custom box, they usually mean ported or any other design besides sealed.. but I just had to ask. There's a misconception that ported box cannot have good sound quality and that is simply not true. If you're seriously gonna go sealed, you might as well buy a prefab box for cheap because it'll be the same thing. When it comes to ported, you wanna design the box around the driver spec, so buying a prefab will not yield the same results. JL's recommended specs are on the smaller side. They only post it up like that so it can fit in more applications so they can sell more. Go get yourself a custom ported from an experienced builder. I think a single sub setup will be a better idea for your car since trunk space is limited. A single 10w7 ported would work good in that space. I would measure your trunk, maybe you can fit a 12" ported. If it ends up being too loud, just turn down your amp gains and you'll be golden.

Good deal that's what I was hoping for in the beginning. I'm going to head to my local shop and see what they can put together having the dimensions of the trunk in person. preciate the responses.

Good deal that's what I was hoping for in the beginning. I'm going to head to my local shop and see what they can put together having the dimensions of the trunk in person. preciate the responses.
Double check here with what they say. Honestly, most shops are a joke.

Hello Gents
Just signed up and I to am purchasing (2) JL Audio 10W7AEs.
What amp do you reccommend? Should I go with a JL amp? In the past, I have always been a fan of MTX, but I haven't had an audio system in my car for a while. My last car, which was a 2001 Nissan Sentra had (4) 10" Pioneers Premiers running (2) MTX amps...if I remember correctly, I had a 2500 running the subs and a small 300 or 400 running the components. It was full built in box in which I converted the tire well (which holds the spare tire) into the enclosure. It was a pretty nice system.

I am currently doing the same to my 2016 Dodge Challenger. I have been out of the loop for awhile so I figured one of you guys, who are familiar with the W7s would have some hints as to which direction I should go.

Thanks!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.