amp temp and thoughts- orion 25001d

Participant count
  • Participant list

mhyde71
10+ year member

PG FanBoy
so i measured my Orion 25001.d (just bought 2 of these)
at idle, no signal even being tied into amp
and it read 132f

isnt that hot for amp at just idle? or is it hot bc of it being a 2500w amp? but it wasn't making 2500w at the time- like i said no signal rca even connected. so is something wrong with amp?? or do these orions just run hot ??

was thinking that maybe someone with these amps might know that they just run hot or smth??

cheers

Attachments

• 20201023_170910.jpg
    20201023_170910.jpg
    435.7 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
so i measured my Orion 25001.d (just bought 2 of these)
at idle, no signal even being tied into amp
and it read 132f

isnt that hot for amp at just idle? or is it hot bc of it being a 2500w amp? but it wasn't making 2500w at the time- like i said no signal rca even connected. so is something wrong with amp?? or do these orions just run hot ??

was thinking that maybe someone with these amps might know that they just run hot or smth??

cheers
sounds like you got a dud. No good amp should get hot just by sitting idle.

well i mean it does work
But idk does seem really hot

I haven't done extensive testing ... i came here to see what folks thought
i hope not

tomorrow i will try out the 2nd amp and see if get similar results for temp's

Some Korean half bridge amps will get hot idling but typically that''s like after an hour or so. If yours is getting hot fast there's something wrong. Hopefully they'll warranty it.

so i have some update on this here
and thx to those that responded.

so here's the dealio

when i hooked that amp up - (1st off these are used off craigslist, and from far away, had friend middle man them to me and i just got them in few weeks ago)....but when hooking up the first one, the one i initially posted about... i hooked it up to power - without turning the power off. this is on test bench with 50a power supply.... but/and/so there was a big snap of crackle of spark- i figured that happens lot when the caps are like fully discharged.
so i continued, payed it no mind, kept power to it, and got warm, took infrared meter out ... it was 137f as you see in pick- and came here to get ppls feedback
today i tried the 2nd amp

this time i turned all power off, discharged the caps - or watched them discharge bc of the leds in the d-block

but hooked it up, and turned it on
no big crackle of spark this time... and the amp has now sat for 30 min and not warm at all.

so i said maybe thats the deal- lets not hook up that 1st amp with power on... so i did it the normal person way...turned off power and no spark and amp didnt get hot really at all... lil warm at idle after 30 min or so... but not 137, more like 82f. the ambient temp was 55 or so

So long story short... i think it had something to do with not turning power off when connecting power acc and ground.

so i think it is all okay
tomorrow if chance i will connect up subs and signal and see if it stays temps decent like

thx guys

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.