Amp suggestions for 10" Phoenix Gold RSDC10-4

AndyWood7
10+ year member

Hi all,

I'm looking for suggestions for an amplifier to run a single Phoenix Gold Competition 10" sub.

RSdC10-4ohm DVC

600rms

custom sealed box

Looking to run at 2ohms on a monoblock, so close to 600-700rms should do fine. I just don't have any idea on what brand to look at. Don't have much knowledge of amp quality. I can't see spending much over $350 for a class D, but would like something much closer to $200. I'm building mostly for SQ.

Thanks in advance.

Quite a few options, I would look on Flee Bay for a nice 2 channel or Monoblock also use it as a price reference.

As far as brands go look for the following:

Memphis

Cadence

Mb Quart

Soundstream

Orion

Rockford Fosgate

Kicker

REFURB Cadence A5+HC 600 Watt Competition Mono Block - eBay (item 290532245907 end time Feb-15-11 09:02:26 PST)
this is it, zed audio designed and built right here in america, one of the best lines cadence ever built. this the a7hc and a7000 sweet poison.

ultra clean look at the thd

Minimum THD:

and only needs a 80 amp fuse, these things have been benched in excess of 800 watts. look no further.
THD means little to nothing on a subwoofer amp //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

THD means little to nothing on a subwoofer amp //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif
um not even going to reply, since u like all the distortion and dirty power of audiopipe lmfao, u must like to kill subs. dumb"***"

distortion is the number one killer of subs

THD = Total Harmonic Distortion

a5hc=zed=quality=american quality amp

audiopipe=cheap=distortion=chinease crap

oh if u want to furthe rknow, most amps are bellow 1 percent thd, which means all amps are inaudiable to the ear u moron. just now u can put up the gains with cleaner signals which equals happy speakers.

um not even going to reply, since u like all the distortion and dirty power of audiopipe lmfao, u must like to kill subs. dumb"***"

THD = Total Harmonic Distortion

a5hc=zed=quality=american quality amp

audiopipe=cheap=distortion=chinease crap
nope never killed a one..

do the research before you start making yourself looking like a fool //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif Are you dumb or do you enjoy ballsacks that much?? Also I think you where not going to reply because you have no idea what you are talking about... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

for a Class D amplifier you will not be able to tell the difference from

oh if u want to furthe rknow, most amps are bellow 1 percent thd, which means all amps are inaudiable to the ear u moron. just now u can put up the gains with cleaner signals which equals happy speakers.
So your agreeing with what i stated that THD has little to do with a Class D amp, u sir are an idiot

yes that u cant hear it up to 1 percent, but ur ******* sub can and you kill subs with distortion you ******* moron, thats why u see so many blown subs, because people ******* crank their gains all the way up and bass boost and bam you have massive distortion from there **** audiopipe amps, yes they put out power but with massive distortion

ur dense dumb mind who spits out bs on this forum has no idea what ur talking about, im not talking about hearing it, im talking about the health of ur sub.

class d has nothing to do with distortion also, all class d is the production of power with square sine waves, on off binary switches were ab is a push pull of current and has a full sine wave.

Actually, overpowering is the number one killer of subs. If you disagree with that statement, please feel free to explain exactly how distortion kills a subwoofer if said distortion is produced within the thermal/mechanical power handling limits of the subwoofer.

not overpowering a sub, its called overheating the sub.

here is how this works, when you take an amp, and try and pull more power out of the amp than its capable of, you will end up creating whats called a clipped signal. At this point the power that is being driven into the speaker is going to contain a large amount of distorion.

The thing that drives the woofers is your coil, and typically its a copper coil, and with distortion it heats the coils up very quickly,

as metals heat they expand, and the coils are driven in a very close gap inside the magnents. As the wire used to wrap the coils heats up, they close that gap, if heated enough they will short to the motor, and cause the coils to short.

kind of like if you took a small thin piece of wire and put it between the positive and negative terminals of a battery. The wire heats up and if you generate enough current it will blacken the wire and melt it.

the heated coils will either burn themselfs upon contact with the motor, or will tear them to shreads. creating "coil rub" meaning when you push the cone in you hear a scratching sound from the cone.

the biggest problem that blows subs are not watts, but distortion. the moment you introduce distortion, will be the moment you blow the sub.

Distortion blows speakers. Simple as that. So when you have an amp that is turned all the way up or a vehicle with low voltage than in turn this will cause heat and distortion and blow speakers. The enclosure has alot to do with it as well. When the voltage drops while banging away on your subs the amp produces distortion which will blow subwoofers. Remember ohms law and watts law.

Again.. What creates the heat? Distortion. obviously over extending and abuse will damage speakers as well. But your still forgetting about the amp. The amp plays a major role here. An amplifiers out put changes as the speaker moves just like the impedence of a speaker does. When there are voltage drops on an amplifer the amplifier produces dc current which in turn heats the speaker then the speaker will be damaged (thermal). An amplifiers output is ac current. When an amp clips or voltage drops excessively the amplifire will clip and produce dc voltage.No one in car audio just lets a speaker play w/o an enclosure. And the frequency response of most speakers is alot lower than 500hz. And what would that prove any ways? (subwoofer reproduce bass not midbass) The reason why a speaker would reach its mechanical limit with out an enclosure is because the is no back pressure(a subwoofer is made to be enclosed). Just remember distortion creates heat and heat creates blown speakers. Heat expands and inturn blows vc's.

Electrical Engineering at USF has done me good. working on my masters now guys.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.