Amp quality question?

nate v

Hello all,

Recently installed a system in a G35 Coupe....I utilized the stock HU, as I enjoy a 6 disc in dash changer. Besides that here is what I used:

Front ; Boston Acoustics 6.5 Pro Series

Rear: Eclipse Point Source 6x9

Sub: Single 10" Alpine Type R (dual 4ohm coils)

Sub Amp: Alpine MRV-350 running at 2 ohms

Front amp: JBL LC - A504 (50x4 - bridged to the BAs)

1 Farad RF capacitor

Double Helix Monster cable

4 gauge RF power and ground

2 LOCs - one for front amp one for sub

Stock HU powers rear fill Eclipses

My question is in regard to any improvements (w/o spending another $1,000) could I make....especially regarding the JBL - what I did was run a single rca from loc at hu to amp and then used y connectors to split signal and run the fronts bridged at roughly 90W RMS each side....I know this probably ***** as in the past I have used Mcintosh, Xtant, Kicker, Phoenix Gold, etc....but that was college.

Question: How much of a difference would a "cleaner" amp make in regard to the front Boston Acoustics? Is it worth replacing the JBL? and if so with what would you recomend without going too crazy as i know the sky is the limit with car audio.

Thanks very much for any and all suggestions.

Nate

Hello all,
Recently installed a system in a G35 Coupe....I utilized the stock HU, as I enjoy a 6 disc in dash changer. Besides that here is what I used:

Front ; Boston Acoustics 6.5 Pro Series

Rear: Eclipse Point Source 6x9

Sub: Single 10" Alpine Type R (dual 4ohm coils)

Sub Amp: Alpine MRV-350 running at 2 ohms

Front amp: JBL LC - A504 (50x4 - bridged to the BAs)

1 Farad RF capacitor

Double Helix Monster cable

4 gauge RF power and ground

2 LOCs - one for front amp one for sub

Stock HU powers rear fill Eclipses

My question is in regard to any improvements (w/o spending another $1,000) could I make....especially regarding the JBL - what I did was run a single rca from loc at hu to amp and then used y connectors to split signal and run the fronts bridged at roughly 90W RMS each side....I know this probably ***** as in the past I have used Mcintosh, Xtant, Kicker, Phoenix Gold, etc....but that was college.

Question: How much of a difference would a "cleaner" amp make in regard to the front Boston Acoustics? Is it worth replacing the JBL? and if so with what would you recomend without going too crazy as i know the sky is the limit with car audio.

Thanks very much for any and all suggestions.

Nate
In using the LOC, I doubt the difference would be significant. What LOC are you using? I don't know the specifics of the stock HU, so I can't comment on the S/N Ratio, but it shouldn't make an enormous difference either way. If you want a better sounding solution (And cheaper), go with an outboard active crossover to bypass the amplifiers onboard. JBL's are notorious for having inaccurate XO's that can colour the signal.

Thanks...now what would be a better choice to run those Bostons?

I enjoy clean sound.....also, I assume I can run roughly 75-100 watts rms to them as they can take (per specs) 85 continous....

how are Alpine MRV series for use on mid and highs? clean?

thanks for the responses....

MY suggestion would be Phoenix Gold Tanrum 300.2 amp for the front speakers. Look at sounddomain.com or discountcarstereo.com OR, even better...you could get the tantrum 600.4 and power all of the speakers...and adjust the gain a lil lower on the rear 2 channels, as not to pull soundstage to the rear. good luck, peace

NG

hmm..okay...the PG tantrum looks good with a decent price.....one other option I see though would be to go with a refurbed Xtant 403A for $200 on Soundomain.....I have used the mother Xtant when they firts came out in Tweeter back in like 96....that thing was ridiculous but I believe it was more on the new X line in terms of quality...but the 403A for $200 with a $900 retail looks good.

Question to those knowledgeable....would I be better off running my entire system, Front's and sub (no need to amp rears)....rather than the 2 separate amps (JBL and Alpine MVR 350)....the Alpine says 350rms vs the mono Xtant channel at 200 w rms......hmmmm wonder if the "watts" are equal in terms of quality.?? anyone??

yes, i'd say the watts are definitely equal. it'd be tough to find an amp that will give enough power to the fronts AND the sub, those type of four channel amps are hard to come by. But that xtant is a good amp from what i've heard. good luck, peace

NG

Ive heard of a few reliability issues that have come about for the Xtant, but it has one of the best and most customizable crossover sections you can get in an amp.

If you aren't using quality LoC's that would most surely be a weak link in your system.

I have been a fan of the newer Memphis amps and have heard really good things about US Amps for running full range stages. For really inexpensive Profile is alright as well.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.