Amp has power but no sound

Couchsleep3r

CarAudio.com Newbie
Trying to troubleshoot an issue with my subwoofer/amp setup.

I recently had to replace an old amp and bought a jbl amp that matches my subwoofer. The new amp worked fine for 2 months then sound became intermittent.
I went to a shop and the tech found that my loc was no longer working, but because i have the option for high level he suggested I get rid of the loc. that worked for about a week, then no longer got sound out.

i tested a few things and plugged directly to my phone and got no output, changing the subwoofer out didn’t work either. Jbl had me send in the amp and they ended up sending me a replacement amp.

the new amp worked for about 2 weeks then one day the sub started to crackle and then output stopped.

i have replaced my ground connections, and checked all my speaker inputs, and fuses. Plugging my phone to the amp gets no out put, and the amp is not in protect mode.

Looking for suggestions on what may be wrong before heading to a shop to get it diagnosed.

I recently had to replace an old amp and bought a jbl amp that matches my subwoofer. The new amp worked fine for 2 months then sound became intermittent.
I went to a shop and the tech found that my loc was no longer working, but because i have the option for high level he suggested I get rid of the loc. that worked for about a week, then no longer got sound out.

i tested a few things and plugged directly to my phone and got no output, changing the subwoofer out didn’t work either. Jbl had me send in the amp and they ended up sending me a replacement amp.

the new amp worked for about 2 weeks then one day the sub started to crackle and then output stopped.

i have replaced my ground connections, and checked all my speaker inputs, and fuses. Plugging my phone to the amp gets no out put, and the amp is not in protect mode.

Looking for suggestions on what may be wrong before heading to a shop to get it diagnosed.
Just a thought and easy to eliminate. Voltage drops. You test the voltage at the amp (black lead to ground, red lead to power) and see what voltage it reads. Then at car battery red lead to positive, black lead to ground. The numbers should be very similar. If not, you have to find the drop

So your saying 2 amps craped out in the same manor within a couple weeks of each other
I'm thinking the problem is not starting at the amps
They just happen to be the victim here
You changed the sub and it still happened so that's probably not the issue
Got to be in the wiring somewhere

Get the amp bench tested and then go from there. Sounds like somebody wired it wrong. Do you have mids/highs?

Get the amp bench tested and then go from there. Sounds like somebody wired it wrong. Do you have mids/highs?
I don’t get anything out of it, I put the amp in myself, but I’ve installed amps before. I did have issues with my remote line at some point with my old amp so there is a possibility it may be having an issue here but it doesn’t really add up that it worked for a few weeks then stopped

Whe
Just a thought and easy to eliminate. Voltage drops. You test the voltage at the amp (black lead to ground, red lead to power) and see what voltage it reads. Then at car battery red lead to positive, black lead to ground. The numbers should be very similar. If not, you have to find the drop
where would I look for a drop if the numbers don’t match?

So your saying 2 amps craped out in the same manor within a couple weeks of each other
I'm thinking the problem is not starting at the amps
They just happen to be the victim here
You changed the sub and it still happened so that's probably not the issue
Got to be in the wiring somewhere
I agree, I feel like the amp is probably fine and some connection is not working so it’s preventing it from working like it should, any suggestions for what to look for in my wiring?

I agree, I feel like the amp is probably fine and some connection is not working so it’s preventing it from working like it should, any suggestions for what to look for in my wiring?
Disconnect only the sub and connect the multimeter in it's place. Set it to a/c volts and turn system on. At any volume you should get a reading. If no reading then amp is bad.

Could be faulty RCA's as well and you think its your amps. jiggle the RCA's to see if the sound returns. or check speaker connections on amp and speaker as well. lastly, take your head unit out to inspect the connections behind, maybe they have come off!

Could the cause be that your amp is mounted to the subwoofer enclosure? Damage to the amp circuit board can occur from the vibrations of the sub enclosure.

Agree, major fails can be caused by amplifier mounted to subwoofer boxes. Best to use some sort of grommet to ease the vibration to the amplifier.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...