Amp going to protect even at low volume

Participant count
  • Participant list

Matt_z34

CarAudio.com Newbie
So I got a new car and put my old setup in (skar lp1000 monoblock, Jensen w12 4 ohm single coil, 4 gauge), whenever I turn up the volume slightly my amp goes to protect. Multimeter says battery isn't dropping voltage but when I check at the amp I can drop from 12 to 9.5 on a small bump, ground and all wiring is fine. Battery not discharging fast enough maybe? Would adding a second small battery help with this? Really can't figure this one out.

If you are dropping to 9.5 volts on a 1k wired to 4 ohms you have a major issue.

Bad ground
Bad battery
Bad wiring
Is there anyway I could narrow it down? I know my ground is good I checked resistance and there was basically non from the factory ground. The car was wired previously before I bought it and they left the wiring in, but I checked it all before I even put the amp in and it all worked fine. If i buy a new battery to test could u return it if that's not the problem?

Check your fuse and fuse holder. I remember years ago I had a similar issue and the fuse holder had melted but not popped the fuse. My voltage at the amp was 9.8 and 14.6 at my battery.

If that amp isnt under warranty, you can crack it open to view the board to see if there is a loose connection on the power supply that may just need to be soldered back in place. Look to see if any Mosfets are burnt/not connected to the board or swollen caps/burnt caps ect.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.