Amp going into protect

Participant count
  • Participants list

BCotrell

Senior VIP Member
irvine, ca
Hey all. I have a soundstream tn4.900d (the old one with external fuses). I switched from 8 ohm drivers wired in series parallel driven off the rear amp channels bridged to now having separate 4 ohm drivers driven on the two rear channels. Amp is going into protect at high volumes. I think my gain is too high but wanted to get feedback my electrical is good. (Big four, ho alt, agm up front snd agm in rear for Substage). Connections are all good, could it be amp crappin out?

Thanks. Became a dad and went from amateur to **** for brains in car audio in five short years

Are you talking subs or mid range?
I guess it would help if you mentioned what exactly your running off the amp
I watched the dyno for it, it came close to what it was claiming.
If your only running midrange off of it and it's going into protect mode then I would tend to think its a problem with the amp but I will ask anyway. Did you set the gains with a multi meter ?

Are you talking subs or mid range?
I guess it would help if you mentioned what exactly your running off the amp
I watched the dyno for it, it came close to what it was claiming.
If your only running midrange off of it and it's going into protect mode then I would tend to think its a problem with the amp but I will ask anyway. Did you set the gains with a multi meter ?

Sorry yeah it’s mids and tweeters. I set the gains with the multimeter the first time around and tweeters were still set but adjusted by ear my new mids. Prolly gonna do it over again with multimeter

So I guess my first suggestion would be to go back over all your wiring with a close eye.
If it was me I would probably take out all the wiring in regard to the amp and start over again
Could be as simple as a loosely connected ring terminal or the wire is not in tight enough at the fuse block.
I'm guessing that's not the only amp you have running
Another amp for subs?
If so try to disconnect the subs and see if it still happens
Maybe hook the multimeter up to the amp and see what's happening when it goes into protect
Is the voltage dropping, spiking ?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

BCotrell

Senior VIP Member
BCotrell
irvine, ca
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies