Amp for x2 Ground Zero GZIW 10SPL subs?

Participant count
  • Participants list
That amp should work, you need to add an 2nd battery and isolator you good to go.
Easier said than done. Modern (ish) BMW are really picky when it comes to their systems especially on the electric side. I still haven’t figured out how to run a second battery without the whole car screaming.

So there’s really no way to run these 2 subs without a second battery? I can upgrade it to a 105 Ah and possibly the alternator (though it’s quite expensive to do both)

I found this amp from Ground Zero : https://www.crowncustomscaraudio.co.uk/products/gzia-1-1500d-iridium-mono-amplifier

Lets put to the side the price, what does it mean by output power for 1Ω and 2Ω ?

And another cheap amp I found at a big auto store in UK is this: https://www.halfords.com/technology...el-1500w-bridgeable-car-amplifier-626430.html with a RMS power of 170W but 1500W peak, which I don't understand how that goes to be honest.
That ground zero is likely their higher quality Korean built offering. You would want to purchase dual 4 ohm woofers so that you could wire them up to a 1 ohm load to that amplifier. If the price tag doesn't scare you that would be more reliable and abuse tolerant than the full bridge one I mentioned.

It is very probable that 4 channel is lying about its output power (what else are they lying about?) I would avoid. It may be something you would consider to power your door speakers but generally you will want a mono amplifier to run subwoofers.

1200-1500W amplifier should be OK on factory charging system.
That's good to hear, at least I can get this off my chest, though the spec sheet shows power values of 1800-2000W which I don't actually understand what they fully mean, but I guess if I don't turn it up it won't draw maximum power. I will upgrade the charging system eventually since I'll be adding aftermarket accessories.

That ground zero is likely their higher quality Korean built offering. You would want to purchase dual 4 ohm woofers so that you could wire them up to a 1 ohm load to that amplifier. If the price tag doesn't scare you that would be more reliable and abuse tolerant than the full bridge one I mentioned.

It is very probable that 4 channel is lying about its output power (what else are they lying about?) I would avoid. It may be something you would consider to power your door speakers but generally you will want a mono amplifier to run subwoofers.
The 10'' subs I have are rated at 2x 2ohms each, won't I be able to wire them to that GZIA 1.2000D?

Sub: https://www.ground-zero-audio.com/en/produkt/gziw-10spl/

I guess if I don't turn it up it won't draw maximum power.
This is true. For around 10$ you can buy a simple LED voltage display so that you can keep an eye on how your charging system is keeping up as you go. You may not be able to go all out for very long at one go depending on what sort of music you use and some other factors over which you'll have no control.

The whole dual 2 ohm woofer thing is a bit worrying though. Your impedance options there are 0.5 ohm or 2 ohm. Few options exist for either. I suspect B2, Alphard, or Ground Zero sell an amp that's the same board as the old Sundown SAZ1500D (which should function at .5 ohm) but I don't think any of those brands are going to warranty half ohm operation, and for good reason, it is very torturous on semiconductors.

Only option I see that is readily available in UK market that makes rated power at 2 ohm would be the Kicker 1200.1

I've had good results in the past running previous generations of their 1200W amps, they've been known to make solid reliable amps that will perform as advertised for a long time.

If it's not too late to get dual 4 ohm subs that'll give you a lot more choices, otherwise, I don't know as you're going to do better than the Kicker to get 1200W into 2 ohms. If all else fails see if you can call up one of those dealers and ask him if they have anything that'll get you 1200-1500W into either .5 or 2 ohm.

This is true. For around 10$ you can buy a simple LED voltage display so that you can keep an eye on how your charging system is keeping up as you go. You may not be able to go all out for very long at one go depending on what sort of music you use and some other factors over which you'll have no control.

The whole dual 2 ohm woofer thing is a bit worrying though. Your impedance options there are 0.5 ohm or 2 ohm. Few options exist for either. I suspect B2, Alphard, or Ground Zero sell an amp that's the same board as the old Sundown SAZ1500D (which should function at .5 ohm) but I don't think any of those brands are going to warranty half ohm operation, and for good reason, it is very torturous on semiconductors.

Only option I see that is readily available in UK market that makes rated power at 2 ohm would be the Kicker 1200.1

I've had good results in the past running previous generations of their 1200W amps, they've been known to make solid reliable amps that will perform as advertised for a long time.

If it's not too late to get dual 4 ohm subs that'll give you a lot more choices, otherwise, I don't know as you're going to do better than the Kicker to get 1200W into 2 ohms. If all else fails see if you can call up one of those dealers and ask him if they have anything that'll get you 1200-1500W into either .5 or 2 ohm.

Yeah, I've seen voltage displays on all my friends' cars with subs in them, will definitely get one of those.

I could return the subs and get something else, what would you recommend I get from GZ? I need 2 subs to match the simetry of the enclosure I want to get and from what I've seen bellow 10'' / 8'' they're too small and 12'' or over are way too big.

My uncle got the subs for me from a Romanian store since they're either hard to find or double the price in UK, thing is I don't really know the language let alone what specs to look for, but I will be visiting soon and can return them to get something else. Also, the impedance on that website for the 10SPL's is rated at 4, 2 and 1 ohms but on the main GZ website it's rated at 2x 2ohms
Store: https://www.emag.ro/search/ground zero subwoofer?ref=effective_search

Last edited:
Yeah, I've seen voltage displays on all my friends' cars with subs in them, will definitely get one of those.
They had some for cheap on one of those sites you linked so that won't be an issue.

I certainly can't read Romanian, but any of those woofers should have dual 2 ohm and dual 4 ohm coil options. Have you confirmed yours are the dual 2 ohm? If so you should try to exchange them for the dual 4 ohm, otherwise that Kicker amp will make 1200W into the pair of dual 2 ohm woofers and would be a simple solution if you're not married to the idea of some other amp.

They had some for cheap on one of those sites you linked so that won't be an issue.

I certainly can't read Romanian, but any of those woofers should have dual 2 ohm and dual 4 ohm coil options. Have you confirmed yours are the dual 2 ohm? If so you should try to exchange them for the dual 4 ohm, otherwise that Kicker amp will make 1200W into the pair of dual 2 ohm woofers and would be a simple solution if you're not married to the idea of some other amp.

I don't really mind what amp I'll get, even though I would have loved to have everything from the same brand, but the amp won't be visible anyway.

I got this snippen from the spec sheet of the subs I have, not really sure what to look for since it shows the Impedance at 2 x 2 ohms and Re (which I don't know what it means) at 3.86 ohms:

And translating the specs from that Romanian website, the last line says: "It is equipped with 2 coils, which can be connected in 4 Ohm or 1 Ohm; "

Last edited:
Last edited:
I don't really mind what amp I'll get, even though I would have loved to have everything from the same brand, but the amp won't be visible anyway.

I got this snippen from the spec sheet of the subs I have, not really sure what to look for since it shows the Impedance at 2 x 2 ohms and Re (which I don't know what it means) at 3.86 ohms:
View attachment 46847

And translating the specs from that Romanian website, the last line says: "It is equipped with 2 coils, which can be connected in 4 Ohm or 1 Ohm; "
You have the dual 2 ohm coils. You must exchange them for dual 4 ohm model or go with an amp like the kicker which is rated to make its power into 2 ohm final load.

You have the dual 2 ohm coils. You must exchange them for dual 4 ohm model or go with an amp like the kicker which is rated to make its power into 2 ohm final load.

I think I went all the way to page 10 on Google when trying to find the 4 ohm version, but there doesn't seem to be any.

However, I found an amp from GZ with 1300W stable at 2 ohms called GZIA 1.2000D, but with a power of 2000W, will this still work on stock battery and alternator?

Edit:
Just had a look through the spec sheet of that amp and it says "1 ohm stable (2 ohms stable in linked mode)" and linked mode seems to be a mode used when using 2 amplifiers, does that mean that it outputs 2 ohms only when using 2 amps...?

Spec Sheet (scroll down for English version): https://www.ground-zero-audio.com/wp-content/uploads/GZIA-1.2000D_OM_AWV2.0.pdf

Last edited:
However, I found an amp from GZ with 1300W stable at 2 ohms called GZIA 1.2000D, but with a power of 2000W, will this still work on stock battery and alternator?
If you're OK with the price that would be a good match. If you ever buy dual 4 ohm subs and an additional battery and/or more powerful alternator later it will give you more power. That amp will only make 1200W into the subs you have if you wire them to 2 ohm so into your subs that will be good for you.

I'm surprised they only have d2 coil options for that model.

Volt meters you can get at Amazon as well for a decent price. Might want to check there instead of Ali Express which will take some time to get to you even in the UK.

Also I would go with 1/0 OFC or welding wire if you ever decide to go up to 1 ohm so the wiring is done plus that is what they recommend for that amplifier in the manual from what I am seeing. Same with the ground wire as well. Personally I use ANL fuses as I can get them from Sky High on Amazon in 10 packs for around 10-20 bucks depending on the size. Also a distribution ground for future upgrades if you decide to ever add a 4 channel amplifier for any speakers in the car in the future.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...