Amp for x2 Ground Zero GZIW 10SPL subs?

Participant count
  • Participant list

DnG

CarAudio.com Newbie
London
Hi,

I'm planning on adding 2 Ground Zero GZIW 10SPL subs to my car and I'm not sure what amp to get.

Each sub is about 700W so I was thinking about getting either a 1000W or 1200W amp, I'm open to suggestions and advice since I've just started with car audio.

Thanks

Hi,

I'm planning on adding 2 Ground Zero GZIW 10SPL subs to my car and I'm not sure what amp to get.

Each sub is about 700W so I was thinking about getting either a 1000W or 1200W amp, I'm open to suggestions and advice since I've just started with car audio.

Thanks
Ground Zero has the GZIW which appears to be their version of the full bridge mono amps that every other "brand" is selling these days. If you can buy local with a warranty it'll probably be your best option. Vibe brand's powerbox series appears to be the same thing, or should be close enough.

Either should get you by without breaking the bank, but definitely be sure to buy from a trusted retailer who will cover you on warranty should the need arise. I do NOT trust these full bridge amps very far (Brazilian or Chinese made) but odds are if you don't get a dud that fails while under warranty you should get your money's worth out of it.

There may be other brands marketed in the UK that sell the same thing with a different brand name on. Again, I'd suggest the cheap and small footprint full bridge models if you're not looking to really get spendy here. Otherwise GZ probably has a 1200-1500W sized Korean built half bridge which would be of better build quality and reliability but would cost you 2-3X the money.

Finally some might suggest you could run 2000W into those subs but anything much beyond the 1200-1500 tier and you will most likely need additional batteries or upgrade alternator to support it. Stick at that power point as long as you can bear because that's definitely one of the points of diminishing returns along the road from stock to world record holder.

Alternately you may want to price out their 1500w rated woofer. Single 12" will get you pretty close to pair of 10" all things being equal and if you can get a single sub to hold the power you're going to run IMO it is preferable to running multiples provided physical space limits allow.

Ground Zero has the GZIW which appears to be their version of the full bridge mono amps that every other "brand" is selling these days. If you can buy local with a warranty it'll probably be your best option. Vibe brand's powerbox series appears to be the same thing, or should be close enough.

Either should get you by without breaking the bank, but definitely be sure to buy from a trusted retailer who will cover you on warranty should the need arise. I do NOT trust these full bridge amps very far (Brazilian or Chinese made) but odds are if you don't get a dud that fails while under warranty you should get your money's worth out of it.

There may be other brands marketed in the UK that sell the same thing with a different brand name on. Again, I'd suggest the cheap and small footprint full bridge models if you're not looking to really get spendy here. Otherwise GZ probably has a 1200-1500W sized Korean built half bridge which would be of better build quality and reliability but would cost you 2-3X the money.

Finally some might suggest you could run 2000W into those subs but anything much beyond the 1200-1500 tier and you will most likely need additional batteries or upgrade alternator to support it. Stick at that power point as long as you can bear because that's definitely one of the points of diminishing returns along the road from stock to world record holder.

Alternately you may want to price out their 1500w rated woofer. Single 12" will get you pretty close to pair of 10" all things being equal and if you can get a single sub to hold the power you're going to run IMO it is preferable to running multiples provided physical space limits allow.

Thanks a lot for the info! I decided to go for the 2 10'' subs because I want my enclosure to look similar to this: so I need 2 subs for simetry and didn't want to go for 6s or 8s because they're way too small, even though I don't want to rip the plaster off walls I still want decent sound, and 12s were too big so 10s seem to be the best for my case.

Also, if you say I'll be fine with a 1500W amp on a stock battery/alternator, which amp would you recommend I get?

I have 2-2ks and one Ive been running is and has been serving justice for my temp setup

I have 2-2ks and one Ive been running is and has been serving justice for my temp setup
Cool, thanks for the suggestion. I also seen some people that have a second, smaller box, I thinking that'd be the DSP? I have an aftermarket nav with DSP integrated but someone told me that because I don't have a standard, old-school stereo system, I'll need a "hi/lo converter", will that be the case?

I decided to go for the 2 10'' subs because I want my enclosure to look similar to this:
Something like that is going to be all show and no go. Still though, pair of 10s are going to give you better options to fit in your trunk.

Like I said, if you can buy local with warranty, both Vibe and Ground Zero sell 1500W full bridge amps that are very small footprint, inexpensive and will make legit power. Again, if you try to shop for brands shipped from the USA you may get smoked with taxes compared to buying from a brand that normally sells in your country.

Something like that is going to be all show and no go. Still though, pair of 10s are going to give you better options to fit in your trunk.

Like I said, if you can buy local with warranty, both Vibe and Ground Zero sell 1500W full bridge amps that are very small footprint, inexpensive and will make legit power. Again, if you try to shop for brands shipped from the USA you may get smoked with taxes compared to buying from a brand that normally sells in your country.
I found this amp from Ground Zero : https://www.crowncustomscaraudio.co.uk/products/gzia-1-1500d-iridium-mono-amplifier

Lets put to the side the price, what does it mean by output power for 1Ω and 2Ω ?

And another cheap amp I found at a big auto store in UK is this: https://www.halfords.com/technology...el-1500w-bridgeable-car-amplifier-626430.html with a RMS power of 170W but 1500W peak, which I don't understand how that goes to be honest.

Last edited:
If your sub are D2 you need 1 channel amp run 1400rns @ 2ohms
You need this one

Last edited:
If your sub are D2 you need 1 channel amp run 1400rns @ 2ohms
You need this one

Can't seem to find it in UK or Europe (have a relative in Romania that can buy it for me).

EDIT:
I managed to find a 1300W @ 2 ohms from GZ https://www.ground-zero-audio.com/en/produkt/gzia-1-2000d/

Recon this would be enough to power the 2 subs on the standard battery/alternator?

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...