Amp box...

Participant count
  • Participant list

beachboy016
10+ year member

I am planning on building an amp box to put in the back of my jeep to hold a jbl 80/4 and 600/1. It will be a box with hinges and a top so it looks just like a carpeted box from the outside but when you open it up the subs are there. I have a few questions though. How much room does there need to be around the amp for it to ventilate and should I cut holes in the side to let it cool easier. Secondly, should I use MDF or does it not matter what kind of would I use? Also, do you guys think it would be better to just mount one of my amps on the box and the other under a seat or should i try this amp box idea.

Sounds like you are going about it the right way //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

For ventalation, you can drill maybe like 20 holes(3/8" or something medium sized) in the 2 ends of the box, and mount a neon tube in both ends...that way, it provides ventalation and looks good at night.

Look around on the internet for more ideas - if you are worried about ventalation, you can use 12 volt cooling fans...amp racks with cooling fans plans can be found here: http://www.eatel.net/~amptech/elecdisc/caraudio.htm ---->right hand side, scroll down to "amp racks".

- Steve

For the cooling fan idea, if I had two amps in the box and on each end it had the 20 holes would I place one fan on each end with the air flow going only one direction (i.e. one pushing air into the box and one pulling it out. Would the holes allow the fan to **** in enough air? Do you think I really need fans? I like the lighting idea, I could just use a 12 inch tube right?

What if I made the amp box out of plexiglass. I would do a bottom sheet and then pretty much open sides and then a hinged top. Would this make it so fans are not neccessary?

what do u mean by hinged top???? cause unless the heat can go somewhere its not going to do any good.....now if u are just going to leave out the sides and u have plenty of air moving in that area u shouldnt have any problems

you could just flush mount the fans on either side of the box so they arent visible, and then drill more little holes with the space that is left. For an amp rack it doesnt really matter what material you use but I would just go with MDF cause it is pretty easy to work with.

Originally posted by beachboy016 For the cooling fan idea, if I had two amps in the box and on each end it had the 20 holes would I place one fan on each end with the air flow going only one direction (i.e. one pushing air into the box and one pulling it out. Would the holes allow the fan to **** in enough air? Do you think I really need fans? I like the lighting idea, I could just use a 12 inch tube right?
Yep, every thing sounds good //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

- Steve

PS: Plexi or MDF, doesnt matter...plexi would look awsome, little harder to work with though.

I read on Rockford's manual that you'd need at least 3.3cm clearance without a fan...//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.