Alpine sub W10D2 and Pioneer D9701 Amp - Do i wire to 4ohm or 1ohm?

Participant count
  • Participants list

kay755

CarAudio.com Newbie
UK
Hi all,
Im really confused as to which Ohm to wire the sub - Is 4 ohm or 1ohm better suited for my install?

In a nutshell here are the details

Alpine sub: 750w RMS (2250w Max)
Pioneer amp: 1 Ohm at 1200w RMS (2400w Max) or 4 Ohm at 500w RMS (1000w Max)

Im confused because the sub is a dual 2 ohm, ive currently powered the sub/amp at 4ohm so i guess im only really using less than 500w RMS out of the available 750w RMS in the sub. I chose 4ohm only so that I cant 'blow' the sub and it doesnt sound bad, but I wanted to make sure if my thinking is right or not.

Would it make more sense to use 1Ohm?

Alpine sub manual: https://www.alpine.co.uk/fileadmin/...2D2/OM_R-W10D4_R-W10D2_R-W12D4_R-W12D2_EN.pdf

Pioneer amp manual https://catalogs.pioneer-car.eu/Manuals/GM_D9701_5707000012720V_installation_manual/GetPDF.ashx

Any help would be appreciated, thankyou

thansk for the reply, is it safe to do so at 1ohms? would there be a huge different between 1 and 4 ohms (sound wise). I currently have it wired at 4 and it does sound good, but part of my is wondering if im missing even more

Wiring to 1 ohm will obviously give you more power. With box rise, the amp will likely not put out the full 1200 RMS. I like the Alpine Type R’s and they can take some abuse. Main thing is to leave bass boost off and do use the gain as a volume dial

thanks, ill give this a go - just to clarify do you mean dont use gain as a volume? ive read all over the internet the gain isnt a volume but rather to set the right balance between the sub and other speakers

thanks, ill give this a go - just to clarify do you mean dont use gain as a volume? ive read all over the internet the gain isnt a volume but rather to set the right balance between the sub and other speakers
It’s for level matching. If you send a 4volt signal into the amplifier you’d want to adjust the gain to match that 4 volt signal without going over. That would get the most out of the amp without clipping provided you’re putting a clean signal into the amp.

You won’t need to level match since you aren’t trying to get the most out of the amp on the other hand your sub might be able to handle the power. It depends on the sub and enclosure. For example I’ve used a single alpine type s sub on my 1k amp before without any issues.
I would suggest being very conservative with yours at least till you get a little experience with your equipment and learn what pushing your equipment beyond its capabilities sounds and sometimes smells like.

I’m sure he meant don’t.

thanks for the replies. When wiring to 1 ohm shall i follow the multimeter to set the gains? As far as I can tell, the correct way to is to sqrt(750w x 1 ohm) = 27.39

Would this be the correct way to set the amp/sub (whilst turning off all other sound adjustments)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.