Alpine Power Pack using factory wiring?

Participant count
  • Participant list

johnckhall

CarAudio.com Newbie
Newbie here and I plan to replace everything in my 1999 GMC Sierra Ext Cab. I'm going with the following: Alpine CDE-172BT Head Unit , Alpine KTP-445A Power Pack, Infinity Reference 6.5" component front , Infinity Reference 4x6 rear

My questions are: Is the original speaker wiring OK to go with? It seems like a pretty easy install if so.

Is it worth it to go through the pain to replace the factory wiring if the Alpine Power pack is only producing 45W per channel?

Lastly, if I did replace the wire with new speaker wire, where would I spice into the Power Pack's harness?

Thanks a lot!

John Hall

I have their powerpack in my Explorer, and I like it, but I did add it the same time I replaced my deck (alpine cde-w265bt), so i can't compare it with the deck outputs. I would go ahead and do it, so you only have to tear apart your dash once. I have owned enough alpine amps that i have faith in them. I assume Alpine does a lot more research and experiments than we ever could before they release a product. I did not run new wire for speakers, and I haven't noticed any problems. Obviously thicker wire means less resistance, which is beneficial for any conductor, but to me it isn't worth the hassle and kind of nullifies the convenience of using an inline amp.

If i had one complaint, it's that higher output means each "click" on your volume knob creates a greater difference in volume, but that goes for every amp. If you prefer loud music out of your speakers, that's a perk; if you search for a perfect volume, it might be an annoyance.

- Joe

To your last question: If you decide to run new wire, splice to the output of the powerpack. Your deck plugs into one side, and the other side is the output.

- Joe

Thanks for the advice, Joe. I'm going to leave the factory speaker wire mainly for your reason alone (that I thought about already), it defeats the purpose of the convenience of the unit to run entirely new wire. I'm not sure what gauge speaker wire came from the factory, but I think it should be OK with this set up. Unless someone has a different take on it ???????

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.