Alpine MRX-M100, Why is 1 ohm only at 500W?

The Alpine MRX-M100 is stable with 600W @4ohm and 1000W @2ohm but, when it goes down to 1ohm it's only 500W. Why is this? Shouldn't lower resistance allow for more power, but yet it produces the lowest amount of power.

To my knowledge Alpine PDX amps are top of the line with MRX following close behind. Why is it that they have this significant drop in power when cheaper amps seem to be able to produce yet more power at 1ohm?

The MRX-M100 lines are really only stable down to 2 ohms. Efficiency drops off horribly lower than 2 ohms

You'd be better off running two subs at 4 ohms compared to 1 ohm. Easier on the amp

The MRX-M100 lines are really only stable down to 2 ohms. Efficiency drops off horribly lower than 2 ohms
You'd be better off running two subs at 4 ohms compared to 1 ohm. Easier on the amp
Yeah I understand, but my question is; Since the Alpine is a very high quality amp, why does they efficiency drop off horribly at

because it is not built to play under 2ohm
Oh no, you and your over simplified answers which give no real useful information //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

I guess this is really more of a question for the manufacturer or designer of the amp as it requires knowledge of the inner workings :l

When I was an Alpine dealer this was explained to me as an output current limiting feature that allowed it to be used @ 1 ohm and not shut down when it was really only intended to run down to 2 ohms.

Similar to what Kenwood used in the KAC-9105D which is rated at 900 watts @ 1 or 2 Ohms.

Why Alpine made it to not produce 2 ohm power at 1 ohm, I have no idea other than maybe they really didn't want it run at 1 ohm.

Oh no, you and your over simplified answers which give no real useful information //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif
I guess this is really more of a question for the manufacturer or designer of the amp as it requires knowledge of the inner workings :l
The manufacturer is going to tell you the same thing. Here, I'll dumb it down even more for you. It would be like me saying don't jump off a bridge, your body isn't built for it. Now knowing you, you will continue to ask why until I take you to a bridge and push you off, showing you why.

My Alpine MRV-M500 is the same way. Does 350 @ 4 ohms, 500 @ 2, and 350 @ 1. It's designed to decrease power when presented with a 1 ohm load. They are meant to produce full power at 2 ohms.

I think they did this because the amps aren't really stable @ 1 ohm and decrease the power to make it stable. Just in case someone, like the op, HAS to run their amp @ 1 ohm.

alpine amps historically have been 2ohm stable but with this line its like they threw the 1ohm guys a bone basically saying it will play at 1 but you wont get the same power

Ah, I see. So you guys are basically saying, it's a high end amp built to perform very well at specifically 2ohm. Other cheaper amps can perform decently at a wider range of ohms but, not as good as the Alpine at 2ohm. Right? An analogy being like how a high end diamond saw can cut stone easily but not wood, while a metal saw can cut a wide range of materials but not as well as diamond on stone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, I see. So you guys are basically saying, it's a high end amp built to perform very well at specifically 2ohm. Other cheaper amps can perform decently at a wider range of ohms but, not as good as the Alpine at 2ohm. Right? An analogy being like how a high end diamond saw can cut stone easily but not wood, while a metal saw can cut a wide range of materials but not as well as diamond on stone.
It's not that high quality of a amp. It's a great budget amp

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...