eq

6/1/63, 2/3/200, 1/2/1.2k, 2/2/3.2k, 2/1/8.0k

crossover

low0/1/80, front 0/4/125, rear0/4/125

mx

off

volume range 15-29

sub 13

Can you explain to me what bandwith does? I can't seem to hear a big difference when adjusting this.
It's how much of the surrounding frequency affected when you boost or cut a certain frequency.

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I have a quick question: Does the 9815 have indepedent crossovers for the sub, rear, and front channels? Is this called "3-way crossovers"? My 7875 only has one crossover for the entire system and I want to be able to set different channels differently. From what you said, I am correct, but why did you leave a gap of 80-125hz in your crossover setup? Does this allow for a more smooth sub to midbass transition? Thanks. Now return to your regular scheduled program.

scott- i'm not sure about the alpine part of the question, but as to the gap in frequencies in the crossover setting... this is because of something called crossover slopes which are hard to explain without being able to draw a graph. do a few searches for crossover slope and look at some graphs... if you can't figure it out send me a pm and ill try to help ya out with it.

Well, as far as crossover slopes, I'm not too familiar, but I do know that they are measured in dB/octave which tells you how fast the speaker will "roll off" or fade-out at the ends of it's frequency range (as set by crossover). I think you can also adjust these on the Alpine's. Now, even though both speakers (sub and midbass one's) would "roll off" at these different slopes, are the crossovers and slopes set up to allow for a smooth transition and as flat a eq. curve as possible? In SQ, one of the most important goals is to get a flat frequency response, meaning every frequency is played at the same loudness (dB) and this is called a flat response. Wouldn't the crossover slopes help you to do this? Thanks.

Well, as far as crossover slopes, I'm not too familiar, but I do know that they are measured in dB/octave which tells you how fast the speaker will "roll off" or fade-out at the ends of it's frequency range (as set by crossover). I think you can also adjust these on the Alpine's. Now, even though both speakers (sub and midbass one's) would "roll off" at these different slopes, are the crossovers and slopes set up to allow for a smooth transition and as flat a eq. curve as possible? In SQ, one of the most important goals is to get a flat frequency response, meaning every frequency is played at the same loudness (dB) and this is called a flat response. Wouldn't the crossover slopes help you to do this? Thanks.
I think you can do a flat slop which is basically having no slop at all. From my understanding this means that the speakers/sub would be tuned to whichever your preferred frequency but at the same time allow frequencies outside that range to be played as well. From my experience the bass and output sound less defined and more "blurry" when set like this. Adding a slope makes the sound more distinct and specific to your particular preference. Keep in mind though I'm just going by what I hear as I do have limited experience with car audio. Can someone back me up or correct me here?

http://www.harmony-central.com/Effects/Articles/Equalization/
That is a good basic article on equalization. Parametric EQ's come in the most useful when trying to find a problematic frequency and either boost it or cut it out. With practice you can really tailor your sound extremely accurately with a multiband parametric eq.
Thanks for the link. Now I'm really impressed to see what the Alpine can really do. I never knew the EQs were that complex. Hopefully with the better understanding I can tune it a bit better.

Does the 9815 have indepedent crossovers for the sub, rear, and front channels?
9815 can be switched to 2-way or 3-way mode. when in 3-way mode, the front channel is used as the tweeter channel (high passed). the rear channel is used as midrange channel (band passed). and the sub stay the same in either mode (low passed). you loose the rear fill when in 3-way mode.

but why did you leave a gap of 80-125hz in your crossover setup? Does this allow for a more smooth sub to midbass transition?
sometimes underlapping or overlapping crossover point is a good thing to smooth the response. most car have nasty peak around 200hz which is also a common midbass crossing point. this peak can be reduced by underlapping the points.

In SQ, one of the most important goals is to get a flat frequency response, meaning every frequency is played at the same loudness (dB) and this is called a flat response.
flat response does not necessarilly sound good. most people think flat sound thin, bright and you can barely hear the bass. what you want is a smooth response over the sonic range.

hope that helps //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

9815 can be switched to 2-way or 3-way mode. when in 3-way mode, the front channel is used as the tweeter channel (high passed). the rear channel is used as midrange channel (band passed). and the sub stay the same in either mode (low passed). you loose the rear fill when in 3-way mode.
sometimes underlapping or overlapping crossover point is a good thing to smooth the response. most car have nasty peak around 200hz which is also a common midbass crossing point. this peak can be reduced by underlapping the points.

flat response does not necessarilly sound good. most people think flat sound thin, bright and you can barely hear the bass. what you want is a smooth response over the sonic range.

hope that helps //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
9813 / 9815 / 9835 / 9833

all have same specs as far as what you can adjust.... the only thing different is the LOOK.

A flat frequency response does not always sound thin.... The problem with a perfectly flat responce (or close to it) is the sound is very dependant upon listening volume. Thanks to the Fletcher/Munson curve we know that our ears hear the closest to a flat freq responce between roughly 82-95 dB, so if you constantly listen at this level a flat curve with a properly engineered album can sound great. If you turn the volume down the bass will fall out rather quickly and if you turn it up too much the treble will start to roll off while the bass keeps getting louder.

This is why sonic maximizers and "Loudness" sound so much better... because they compensate for what our ears normally hear at different volumes.

But yeah.... in general in a car flat curves don't sound the best what with all the cancellations that happen and the fact that the low frequencies don't even completely form inside the car because its too small and road noise and engine noise.... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.