Alfa Romeo 147 SQ build - Pioneer/BRAX/Helix/JBL/HAT

Participant count
  • Participants list

Lojze Carman

CarAudio.com Recruit
This is my old SQ install in Alfa Romeo 147 (small European hatchback)

Equipment list

Pioneer P9 combo
Brax X2000, X2400, Crown/JBL BPX 2200.1
2 x JBL C 660 GTI
Hybrid Audio L4 Se
Infinity EMIT
JBL W15 GTI x2 (sealed)//2 x KEF B200 ported version
Brax aniti distortion device x2, Brax IPC 1 and 2 farad 
Silent coat damping materials, self adhesive neopren 1cm thich, closed cell foam 2cm thick
Cables from Esoteric Audio, DLS, Dietz, Oyaide, Kimber, Qed Silver Anniversary XT - bi-wiring
Distribution blocks and **** from Audison/Connection

Goal is to achive the highest possible SQ with given equipment...

vehicle was deadened with SilentCoat damping material - trunk, both side panels, hatch doors, doors, roof, floor.....
everywhere 2 layers, with a layer of 1 cm thick sound barrier

Second part of damping will be applied - layed down when I get all needed speaker cables

First segment of install is to prepare all needed parts to start with A-pillar fabrication for mid/high drivers. Speakers will be arranged in semi on-axis manner, according to tests this is the best solution for homogen, very wide and deep stage in this car with evenly spaced L/LC/C/RC/R.  Midbass drivers will be installed in doors in sealed panels with AP membranes, but more about it later....

First I taped off dash with Aluminium self adhesive tape...it sticks quite good to all surfaces including the ones slightly greased with MaxiBrill.....after that Formula5 was applied to Alu foil ... F5 is used for demolding...nothing sticks to it

windscreen, A-pillars were also protected with Alu foil and F5....

applyed a few layers of Fiberglass with very light mix of resine to prevent fiberglass wrapping....it all ended as inspected.....no wrapping at all, me happy as a child.....lol

A-pillar fabrication started with mold of dash and partly a-pillar.

Mold has been removed and cleaned up on edges, I also shaped it to desired shape 

This part was sanded shaped and bonded with original A-pillar. Before that "marriage" original A-pillars were sanded with rough sandpaper 24 grit and I drilled a bounch of holes for better bond between ABS and Fiberglss part. This time I used mix of Poliester resine and filler with strands for bonding this two parts.

[/URL

after bonding process, I applayed 3 layers of fiberglass rowing over A-pillars to strenghten them and to have the same material for base for further fabrication to obtain the best possible bond.

http://s675.photobucket.com/user/lb...47 TS/A-Pillars/IMG_6500_zpsf387cc16.jpg.html

http://s675.photobucket.com/user/lb...47 TS/A-Pillars/IMG_6500_zpsf387cc16.jpg.html

after bonding process, I applayed 3 layers of fiberglass rowing over A-pillars to strenghten them and to have the same material for base for further fabrication to obtain the best possible bond.

When I had all templates ready I first create hole on exact position on A pillar pod..... exacly where the ventilation hole on dash is located.......

Then, I created additional template for arch that will be fabricated over this ventilation hole

template was treated with Formula5 paste and when it was dry I applyed filler with strands

When filler cured I removed template, sand everything and create a smoorh transitions from hole to the arch. 
Then I created new template for dented part where the tweeter will be located

the final shape of the dent was cut out from Apillar

test fit with template inserted

template taped off with ALU tape and applyed Formula5, temporary glued to the a-pillar with hot glue

After that I applied filler from the back side to strenghten everything a little bit and sanded it down... 

....routering rings out of MDF for mids and optional Emits... Probably I will start build only with tweets from JBL set, and later I will do some additional testing with EMITs....

started with base for EMIT tweeters - freehand ofkorzz lol

Rings for HAT L4SE

Beauty Rings that will hide fastening screws on L4

All base rings were soaked with Poliester resine to protect them against humidity and to obtain better and stronger bond between MDF and Filler, to prevent small cracks that usually accour on the edges...

some additional pics

started to build panel walls.....start on the lower part

made template for a part of panel wall out of Alu self adhesive tape, treat it with Formula5 and apply filler with strands

http://s675.photobucket.com/user/lb...47 TS/A-Pillars/IMG_6834_zps2fcff432.jpg.html

from the inside of the panel

for next part I made a cardboard template....again, taped it off with alu foil and apply F5c and glued it in place

Filler applied, template removed when everything cured up.
All imperfections on inner panel walls were smoothed out.

left mid enclosure is closed now, all templates removed and inside of the panel is smoothed out, still have to repeat all this procedure on the right side, and then I'll start with tweeter position/angle testing and with finishing both design wise..

Tweeter orientation and angles were set based on week long testing. They are aimed very similar to mid range drivers.

Tweeter "cups" were taped off, and glued in place with filler....a lot of filler :D

Then I started shaping a pillars

Things started to move again, temperatures become bearable outside and in garage.... 

Started work on metal frame that will use as base support for 0.75" MDF board It will be bolted down to the car frame. SW box will sit on this board and will be also secured to the metal frame. Two additional braces will be welded to the frame later - I left them because I need space for temporary amp so I will maintained some tunes in the car until the final amp rack will be fabricated.

All grounds will be bolted to the chassis here

temporary amp

after that I made cardboard template for MDF plate

and my lazy helper

say what ?!!??

first A-pillars - they still lack finish, I will put them in paint when all other parts will be finished and prepared for finish

2015-04-12%2016.08.05_zpsepcrp1eo.jpg

Temporary Amp rack 

BLT Limited

and a few other bits of system - caps, cable terminators, SW cable, voltmeters....

Esoteric audio subwoofer cable

I also started to hallucinate about door pod design

...so here we go....at last :D:D

At last I started to work on door panels/enclosures for dual mid bass drivers. Preparing a couple of parts needed for final assembly.

Started with rings for dual mid bass drivers...not sure if I would use them since plan changed a lil bit, but anyways heres the pics

moved to next part - I will modify arm rest part of the doors so I need to fab a part the will go over pimped arm rest to hide seam. The arm rest will be cut in two so I will be able to reinstall it when doors are finished.

[/QUOTE]

Then I moved to fabricating mold of the Inner door metal

Doors were disassembled and taped off

Old release wax was applied and a 5/6 FG layers added

pulled off of the doors, cleaned up back side

added a couple of additional FG layers to strengthen it up. It is 1/3 of an inch thick, I think it is enough. There will be added Silent coat on this panel to deaden it

Mold was then trimed to desired shape (can't find pic)

Then I moved to MDF template for front door panel fascia/rings/port shape, dent shape

so...on to the news..a few pics
Im working on driver supports/rings for mid bass drivers that will be a part of door panels. Supports will hold also a port and a dent, so the final looks should go well with A-pillar design... heres a few pics of what Im doing for last couple of days:
 Supports are made out 10 and 19 mm MDF
first I cut shapes out with a jig saw, then glued two and two pieces together with double sided tape and finished them with copy router bit. First I made holes for cutout.  then part of template was removed and template reused for countersunk for driver. I also rabbeted around driver in front and at cutouts behind the drivers

modified template

[/QUOTE]

test fit with drivers....perfect fit

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.