After some advice for a sub for my Mazda 6

Participant count
  • Participant list

Bedesv

CarAudio.com Newbie
  • What are your goals for your car audio system - as loud as possible (SPL)? Sound quality (SQ)? Some combination of both? Describe to us how you want your system to sound.
I like good sound quality but I also like the system to be able to bump hard. I'm wanting to install a sub as I already have upgraded door speakers and headunit.

• What vehicle? - year, make, model, type (coupe, sedan, SUV, truck, etc.)
2008 Mazda 6 Wagon

• What is your maximum budget? (either all at once or over time as budget allows)
$500ish NZD for sub and amp, will build the enclosure myself

• Will you be installing the gear or will you have it installed by someone else, such as at a shop? If a shop is doing the work, does your budget include cost of installation?
I will install myself

• What gear is in your existing system? (Is it stock? List any aftermarket gear. If upgrading, list previously installed equipment)
Currently have a Sony XAV-V750BT headunit but I will upgrade to something with Android auto in the nearish future, suggestions for what this should be are welcome too.
I have a PIONEER GM-D8604 D CLASS 4 CHANNEL AMP for the 4 door speakers, hooked up to a set of SOUNDSTREAM SSTV2.57 TARANTULA SERIES 5X7 2 WAY COAX, 5X7 / 6X8 INCH speakers in the front and Soundstream PCT.573 5 x 7/6 x 8" 3 Way Speakers in the back. I've wired the speakers up with OFC wires.
I'm open to replacing the door speakers if they are overly trash, I got them on a good sale and they seemed okay from reviews.

• What is your country of purchase? Leave any finishing thoughts here that you may feel are necessary and beneficial to the discussion.
New Zealand
I'm likely to be purchasing from Hyper so if the suggested items are available on there that would be great. I've got a few questions surrounding the speakers and amp. Could I just buy a 5 channel amp and hook all my speakers and sub to that, or possibly scrap the rear speakers and bridge two of the current amps channels? Would either of these be better than just buying an amp specifically for the subwoofer?

I'm not sure if I want to go ported or enclosed as I like clear, precise bass but I primarily listen to rock music, my most played bands at the moment are the Red Hot Chilli Peppers and Sticky Fingers. What would be best for those kinds of bands? The box can have external dimensions of up to 600x400x370mm

I'm also looking at sound deadening the car, I'm thinking around the door speakers as a must but what other areas should I do? Is it worth doing the entire door? Should I do the footwells and boot floor too? I can't afford much in terms of sound deadening so what will give me the best improvement in sound?

I would go with a 5 channel for space . I started out running high and bass amps but switched when I could save space but still have that sq but also get down at the same time. I have tried kicker, helix, jl rd 900/5 and the XD 1000/5v2, dd 5.1000 and also my favorite dd d5.1500.

You’re over three cubes before sub displacement based on the size restrictions. The right ported enclosure can for sure be musical and give you better spl of less power. That’s a good four channel...keep it. The fact you have a wagon is good for base response and travel in the vehicle. You could do a single 12 in the 500 rms range up to 1250 rms just depends on your commitment to electrical.

Good budget amps from small to bigger
Pioneer gmd8701 $120usd
Pioneer gmd9701 $135usd
Taramps md1200 $170usd

Too many decent subs out There. I’ve been super happy with my 1222 xfl but at a budget of $325 usd And ur preference for rock a 1022 might be better. $150 usd

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.