Aero vs. Slot port....not sure which to go with help me decide, this will be fun, just look!!

SQ 125 mm - this is 5" aeroport ending, 2 pcs in set, everything fits on standard PVC tube - inner mouth dia is 118 mm, outer dia is 125mm, flange is approx 10 inches+ diameter. It also exist in DUAL version.... this aero port is made for SQ systems with subs from 10"-12", for 15 it would be on the small side, but still pass

200 mm is standard 8" aeroport, I belive this was the FIRST 8" aero in the world - product is approx 15+ years old. I set a couple ow world records in dB Drdag in 2004/2005.... - this one performs better than any other 8" aero that we tested side by side

All my products are hand made, wall thickness is between 0,5-0,8 inch thick fiberglass..... no cheapo ABS plactic here folks!

Last edited by a moderator:
SQ 125 mm - this is 5" aeroport ending, 2 pcs in set, everything fits on standard PVC tube - inner mouth dia is 118 mm, outer dia is 125mm, flange is approx 10 inches+ diameter. It also exist in DUAL version.... this aero port is made for SQ systems with subs from 10"-12", for 15 it would be on the small side, but still pass

200 mm is standard 8" aeroport, I belive this was the FIRST 8" aero in the world - product is approx 15+ years old. I set a couple ow world records in dB Drdag in 2004/2005.... - this one performs better than any other 8" aero that we tested side by side

All my products are hand made, wall thickness is between 0,5-0,8 inch thick fiberglass..... no cheapo ABS plactic here folks!
PVC and a heat gun was my method, because I was cheapo, because I just wanted to test for my own ear  :) .  I have no preference yet, but I am assuming there is trade off for ABS/PVC wall thickness from what you have, also the finish, and flare size/shape?  Ever done an oval port?  Just curious and you seem like maybe more of an expert on aero ports when it comes to SPL, so I wanted to hear what you have to say.  I am guessing once you get upwards of 160 db + then those little differences come into play more so than others.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nate, no I havent done any oval aeroport ending, A competitor colege from Austria used big oval port for his Band-pass box for street B -2005 team painer - austria.
Flair shape has a lot of an impact on how Aero will perform....point is to stear laminate air flow away from port mouth and the result of that is less port compression.
I have used my 8" aeros only in small classes like Street A and Street B from that era (2004/2005), and results we made were in 156-157dB area....but this was 15 years ago🤔

as you can see from the pictures I also done some minor modifications to the rear flair - difference was approx 0,1-0,2dB. Elevate port from box also had an impact on result - worth of testing. ALso smooth transition from port flare and PVC pipe is important so Nothing interfere with airflow. Make inside of the box as smooth as you can - polyester resine or paint. 

My friends that are holders of numerous WRs in dBDrag all uses Big Slot-ports in their competition systems.... I would say go with round aeros in Street classes, SS and higherclasses - big slot

So you ends will fit in a standard PVC tube then, right? Then why the different diameters? I guess the inner fits on the inside of the tube and the outer fits on the outside? What makes them for SQ, sorry but I don't understand. Will a 5" port be okay for only a 12" subwoofer? I guess it doesn't matter as long as the box is built correctly and you have the right port length to achieve the tuning frequency you desire I'm assuming. Recalibrate my brain if I'm going in the wrong direction please.

5" aeroport is spot on for one 12" subwoofer.
Two different diameters were listed because one in inner pipe diameter and the other is outer pipe diameter - the difference is PVC pipe thickness.... Important is inner port diameter - the effective crossection.
And yes - standard 5" pvc pipe fits exactly to outer PVC pipe diameter, so you can change PVC pipe lenghts as much as you need and the cost is minimal.

Important is the air speed trough the port and it should not be more than 20-30 m/sec - if air speed is higher, port noise will probably accure. With bigger pipe cross section the air speed will be lower, but port lenght will need to be longer.

You need to shorten your PVC pipe for a half of height of each aeroport ending used (if the complete aero ending is 5 cm high and you use one on each side of the port you will need to shorten your pipe for approx 5 cm to obtain calculated tunning, otherwise you will end up with lower than predicted tuning and with lower acoustic power.

Gotcha. How much do you charge for them and do they come in different colors?
You have an option to choose color. Price is debatable, since Im stationed in EU and shipping fees would be pretty high...that is why Im prepared to lower my price so you can get port in US for reasonable price. European price is 80 Eur without shipping. I would also add a pice of PVC pipe, additional stickers + port as pictured and some box calc support if needed.

This aeroports are HAND MADE out of fiberglass  - not from ABS, wall thickness is approx 5mm+

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.