Aero vs. Slot port....not sure which to go with help me decide, this will be fun, just look!!

Mikey T

CarAudio.com Recruit
I've only ever built or bought a box with an Aero port.  Since I've been looking at installing a new system I thought might try something new and go with a slotted port.  I'm not sure what the advantages or disadvantages of using the slot port are.  I've only "heard" they are a more "boomy" in their exhaust of air hence creating more spl?  I know I'm probably wrong, but that's okay, that's why I am asking this question.  Not sure of the benefit or if there is one, I'm sure there has to be or why not just keep using traditional aero ports, right?  I do understand turbulence, port noise, friction, so those things we'll say aren't factored in-maybe they're not, I don't know.  I'm not talking about a 4th or 6th order box, just a normal box with a slot port in it.  I'm sure there is some debate about this and I'd like to see what's out there about this topic.  This is all to help me build/buy a new box.  Not sure what variables all go into the decision between the two or if the actual speaker is part of that.  Let's say if need be for example sake without manufacturer preference, you have a quality 12" subwoofer that isn't really biased between spl or sq, a $250 dollar offering, you have the space for the box and it will be rear firing in a suv, that's all the information you get on this one.  Have fun with it, I'm looking forward to seeing this debate/discussion.

The more equal the distance is from the center of the port to any side the more efficient the port will be. That being said, the aeroport is the more efficient kind of vent you can use. They cause the least amount of air resistance in the vent. You can get away with a smaller vent for the same performance or the same size vent with even more performance if the sub's suspension can handle it. 

as long as the subwoofer is suited for a ported enclosure you can use an aeroport. it is just another way to vent air. I have 2 10" aeros in my box for my 2 18s because I would like the box to be as efficient as possible with it's vent area.

If the speaker sits in the center for asthetics the port will be off to the left or the right of it. So as you look at it you'll see the speak and the hole for the port, does that help?

I'm not really sure what the real question is here because of your other thread. Is this about a ground shaker box? If you can build your own enclosure why are you considering a pre fab? 

If the speaker sits in the center for asthetics the port will be off to the left or the right of it. So as you look at it you'll see the speak and the hole for the port, does that help?
Spread them out for better performance, aesthetics are for women. 

20181203_172103.jpg

Lol ....for women. The Groundshaker thing was just something I saw while looking at stuff, I'll most likely build one. O was just reading see articles about porting and was wondering about differences and if people have seen better results going one way or the other. I was just throwing a few things out there for discussion purposes to see what feedback was out here and to have fun seeing what people's opinions, experiences, and ideas are.

Definitely an advantage if you can build your own. As far as slot vs ported I think it comes down to personal preference. Sometimes it just makes more since to use a slot to get the desired port area ie small box. I do like working with round ports and do believe they're more efficient if done right of course. Good luck with your build..

Yeah, the groundshaker thing was just something I saw, that's all. 

For sure more efficient. That's what I'll go with, plus you can have fun with design and paint it for accent or whatever.

Round ports are more efficient compared to square or slot port with the asme port area, they are easier to retune if needed too. On the pics, those are mine production  - SQ 125 mm (5"), also have 8" for SPL comps

LBaudio aero 125.jpg

IMG_0439 125 aerro komplet f:r.jpgIMG_0356.jpgIMG_0351.jpgIMG_0333.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Those are sweet looking!!! I guess you make them in different sizes and colors? What does SQ 125mm mean? Depending on my box I may use a 3 or 4 inch.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.