Advice and help - could it be head unit?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Brassmonkey

CarAudio.com Newbie
USA
Looking for some help - recently got a 1988 Toyota Land Cruiser - i think I’m 3rd or 4th owner.

This is what I know
Upon arrival I could see that there was an aftermarket Kenwood KDC-HD545U Head Unit installed - I believe it’s a 2010 model.
4 speakers two fronts two rears

And abandoned wires (exposed splices wrapped in tape, on the backseat floor floor) for an aftermarket sub, amp - the ground is attached to drivers seat floor bolt.

Car battery has attached a boss audio-red power cord with an intact fuse which runs neatly from engine compartment through gasket in firewall and into vehicle.

My intention after any work is done on exterior and replacing some big things is music/ and I have been quoted for lovely new modern system.

Despite her age she runs and the stereo & speakers all worked, and sounded surprisingly ok.
Then I did a major interior clean. Brought it to the mechanic to establish baseline and timeline of restoration work from priority to way down road.

somewhere in between I noticed front left speaker stopped working.
(Again I’m fairly certain 90% it had been working but now questioning myself. )

Anyway so begin troubleshooting starting with fuses all from what I can see. Checked balance and fade on stereo

1) figured okay- well perhaps it was the crank manual window regulator knocking connections-
Took door apart. Poked light in. All connections fine.
2) well must be speaker - was intending to replace them anyway when I was putting in new window regulator guess I’m doing it now. Turns out speaker was original. Tested speaker with multimeter - got some hissy noise assume that’s good. Disconnected old speaker - speaker connector was impossible to get off so ultimately cut at terminal connector at base of speaker.
3) tested speaker wires polarity all set- tested car speaker wire against new speaker - got hissy fuzz (I assume that’s good)
4) installed new speaker turned on car no sound from either front speaker- bummer back to drawing board.
5) disconnected new drivers side front speaker-

6) Figured it’s got to be corroded wiring it is 38 years old and in a door. So took out wires and tried new speaker again-
No sound from front two - then all of sudden passenger right started working 45 seconds into
Song- But nothing from left.

7) gotta be wires- disconnected new speaker - struggled with connector but disconnected speaker connector (intact)from bulk of wires behind left kick panel.
8)Tested for circuit continuity with multimeter- all good.
9) well maybe it’s loose connections behind head unit. Not a task I wanted to undertake.
10) got to head unit casing - original stereo was DIN - 2010 aftermarket is single with pocket beneath - I’m guessing it’s a full mount
Of course I only have alpine keys and can’t get it out but with it being a full mount maybe it can only come out if I detach mount from inside dash.
11) haven’t gotten it out yet but am able to see all the hard wired connections. Oh joy.
12) suspect there was no aftermarket harness for vehicle so head unit was hardwired to vehicle with crimped butt connectors and splice connector combo clip dealies.
At first look everything appears connected-

so before I start attempting to taking out head unit entirely to check connections on back Of it

I’m curious - is it possible that the head unit itself could be the reason that the one drivers side speaker isn’t working??

It’s not 911 - she’ll be in shop next week for a while- more principal cause it should be such a minor fix instead it’s maddening!
thank you in advance

Nice ride. I’d start with the head unit causing the issues.
Thank you for the reply and compliment- it’s a cool rig - but like anything you take over - you’re left to clean up someone else’s mess.

Took remaining tape off old wires and found bare splices underneath - was sure that was it-
So I ran new wires from new speaker - to repinned connector - looked in dash again found a splice connector that wasn’t clamped- maybe that was it.
Nothing ! Nada!
All the others sound great- just so annoying! She’ll be at “spa” here soon so I won’t be driving it but that got my goat. Gonna order new HU from Crutchfield - kenwood, another single DIN - get through these frame repairs and then come summer bring her to sound Dr for clean update.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...