Abnormal Subwoofer Problem

AudioNoobForReal

CarAudio.com Newbie
This is my first post on an audio forum or any forum for that matter. The problem I'm having with my subwoofer is making me want to pull my hair out. I've googled countless times the problem I'm having in different types of ways and sentences but unable to yield any results of anyone else having this issue online.

SETUP: 2009 Hyundai Sonata Sedan with Pioneer Head Unit & 12" Powered Rockville Sub in the trunk facing the trunk door (3 pictures included which also shows the space behind the sub, the 2 other pictures shows the seating arrangements).

PROBLEM: To sum it up, I'm having audio issues with the subwoofer STRICTLY in the rear passenger seats... the bass waves and audio sound immaculate when I'm sitting in the drivers seat or a passenger is beside me but in the back it sounds horrible and distorted. It's embarassingly gotten to the point where I'd rather not have people in the backseat because of how bad the subwoofer sounds there. When I sit in the back and play the music the bass is almost non-existent. just a violent vibration and rumble that completely shakes your body. Absolutely no bass can be heard and its unpleasant to even sit there.

TESTS DONE: At first I thought it could possibly be the way the subwoofer is positioned and directly right behind the rear seats. So I moved the subwoofer closer towards the trunk door so that the reflecting bass waves would be longer but it still didn't work. I tried numerous inconvenient positions facing sideways, down, up, diagonal, angled, you name it. everything yielded the same muddy bass response.

I also assumed it had something to do with my gain and power settings, so I turned my gain all the way down til it was almost basically zero but it still gave a bottomed out bass response with a shaking rumble.

Like I said, the bass sounds incredible and smooth in the front seats of the car but in the back it's a whole different story. If anyone has had this problem or knows the solution as to how I can solve it I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

Attachments

• 20190802_114802.jpg
    20190802_114802.jpg
    827.6 KB · Views: 164
  • 20190802_114813.jpg
    20190802_114813.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 174
  • 20190802_114835.jpg
    20190802_114835.jpg
    391.9 KB · Views: 121
  • 20190802_114858.jpg
    20190802_114858.jpg
    442.3 KB · Views: 139
  • 20190802_114906.jpg
    20190802_114906.jpg
    462.2 KB · Views: 127
Yeah... I'm basically a noob too but I'd be happy with ANY subbass at all from a Rockville slim prefab self powered sealed setup... idk what you expect for the price you paid & Idk how to address your initial question but.. hey... because Rockville/Amazon
Good luck

Last edited:
Yeah... I'm basically a noob too but I'd be happy with ANY subbass at all from a Rockville slim prefab self powered sealed setup... idk what you expect for the price you paid & Idk how to address your initial question but.. hey... because Rockville/Amazon
Good luck
Not worried about sub bass that's all covered by my door speakers. Like I said the bass is actually powerful and immaculate in the front, I know it's a budget sub but it does the job and what I wanted, the problem is just appearing in the rear seats. Thanks anyway.

Not worried about sub bass that's all covered by my door speakers. Like I said the bass is actually powerful and immaculate in the front, I know it's a budget sub but it does the job and what I wanted, the problem is just appearing in the rear seats. Thanks anyway.
Ok then.... Canadians... lol
More communication issues than Israelis and idk why anyone would cheap out with means...
My rant here I guess... what happened to this forum?.. it's all about cheap gear and user Education lately.
Maybe the race to... 0.... has triumphed.
Additional companies going under I hear... but for 120$ you get an amp, sub and enclosure?
Jeez.... how cheap is the world becoming?.. I still pay $2.50 plus a gallon for gas.
Hey... OP has an issue... cheap gear and backseat loses subbass I hear... wow... some magical fix out here I'm sure... on the internet too.
Just where he bought the high-dollar gear he's finding issues with.
Op... not hacking on you specifically but this forum and the industry in general has been in some decline and with the addition of online gratification it's become really bad.
You really expect performance from what you bought?.. probably a minor phasing issue is throwing you off due to you're probably running rear deck speakers without filters and that's within the Rockvilles mighty response envelope.
Jeez... I'm done... really

Ok then.... Canadians... lol
More communication issues than Israelis and idk why anyone would cheap out with means...
My rant here I guess... what happened to this forum?.. it's all about cheap gear and user Education lately.
Maybe the race to... 0.... has triumphed.
Additional companies going under I hear... but for 120$ you get an amp, sub and enclosure?
Jeez.... how cheap is the world becoming?.. I still pay $2.50 plus a gallon for gas.
Hey... OP has an issue... cheap gear and backseat loses subbass I hear... wow... some magical fix out here I'm sure... on the internet too.
Just where he bought the high-dollar gear he's finding issues with.
Op... not hacking on you specifically but this forum and the industry in general has been in some decline and with the addition of online gratification it's become really bad.
You really expect performance from what you bought?.. probably a minor phasing issue is throwing you off due to you're probably running rear deck speakers without filters and that's within the Rockvilles mighty response envelope.
Jeez... I'm done... really
Not sure why you're so upset and bothered about my post, if you don't have a solution or fix for me then don't bother leaving a comment, you just look immature and bitter about life and taking out on some guy who's making his first post on an audio forum LOL.

If by filters you mean the crossover settings I've already set them to be different but still get the rattling bass. If you have any fixes or solutions please leave them here, if not don't bother venting your small dick frustration in my thread.

SUB bass is handled by the SUBwoofer, not your door speakers. That's mid bass. The problem you are experiencing is because the setup you have is trash and the closer you are to it the more noticeable it is.

Id try Facebook for a magical solution for your woes... something tells me that you'll find that solution or a shoulder to cry on within those groups huddled around the kiddie pool.
Now I'm really out... peace

SUB bass is handled by the SUBwoofer, not your door speakers. That's mid bass. The problem you are experiencing is because the setup you have is trash and the closer you are to it the more noticeable it is.
You're right, I mixed up the mid bass and sub bass. I'm still confused as to how some people put their subs in the backseat or under a seat and will get clean bass while it's right next to them yet when it's in the trunk of my car the rear passengers feel a violent rattle?

your sub is dirty pile of sh*t....the closer you sit to it, the sh*ttier it sounds....solution is get a better sub or just deal with it, there is no magical solution for sh*t equipment, you cant polish a turd

Try laying the sub on its back... move it around a bit and test how it is in different locations and or orientations. Bass waves are longer than mids and highs so the further away, the better... for the most part. They aint lyin... it's not the best gear to expect a lot from. Make sure that you are not pinching or crushing any cables or wires when sitting in the back seat... ya never know.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.