'80 VW Caddy (Rabbit truck) system, E30 dash, suspension...

crnacnac
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
This is my Caddy I've owned for 28 years. It's time for a major overhaul. Some history on it:

Purchased from original owner in 1988.

1989-installed 1.8L GTI motor, CIS-E fuel injection , complete wiring harness/fuse box/relay panel and dash from a '86 GTI

1991-2.0L 16V and trans from a GLI with 8XXXmiles on it, rear disc brake conversion,

-all new fenders, hood and front clip, repaint.

I will be using some old and some new equipment I have ended up with over the years.

Headunit-Alpine ida-x100

iPad2

Components-undecided

Midbass-Alpine SWR-8D2

Subs-(2)JL10W3v3's

PDX-4.150 bi-amped-6 1/2"components

PDX-4.150 bridged-8" Type R's

PDX-1.1000-10W3's

Jetta 3 serpentine belt system with 140A alt

2nd Optima Yellow Top

DSCN0950_zps582d961a.jpg

From 2 months ago

Amp rack welded in for 2 PDX amps I did a couple years ago.

I scored a mint E30 dash. I had previously removed factory heater/ac box and installed a heater unit from Summit. I removed all the ducting from the dash until I get it to fit. The plan is to get the defrost and center ducts working with the heater.

Took care of some rust issues. Added some Dyanmat to the fenders, sprayed rubberized under coating to the fenders and the front end, rear air shocks, control arms,3.5" drop plates, tie tods, ball joint and ST coilovers installed.

Mocking up new steering column position.

Steering column brackets welded in.

Glove box installed and brackets welded in.

wow its so small inside....that steering wheel has been thru some miles lol.

congrats for keeping it so long. i spy rust creepin in the tailgate. pour15 all that
Very small inside. This will definetly be a 10lbs of $hit in a 5lb bag install.

Yep, my Momo wheel has been worked over the years. Couldn't take it any more and bought a new one.

A coworker gave me a gallon of POR15 that I will be putting to use.

I decided to go further into the mid bass enclosure install and cut open the lower A pillar. I plated the hinge supports with 3/16" then boxed and plug welded it with 12gauge.

The amp rack I previously made was cut out so I could add a 3rd ALPINE PDX amp.

I also added brackets so the rack is removable. An 1/8" plate was added between the A and B pillar to help support the amp rack.

The baffle for the mids are two 3/4"mdf stacked rings with 10/32" nutserts and a band of sintra to recess a flush mounted grill. The mid fiberglass/mdf portion is attached with seven 1/4-20 rivnuts and bolts on top of a rubber seal to form a sealed enclosure.

Layered up with mat, sanded smooth with body filler. A mixture of Marglass and resin was poured into the inside of the pods then a layer of Dynamat was added. A grill was made out of 1/2"mdf and expanded metal then the grill and pod were wrapped with black non backing carpet. The entire enclosure was stuffed with Focal Black Hole Stuff.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.