6th order

Participant count
  • Participant list

20 hz bass machine
Premium Member

Danger Ranger
I want to build a 6th order enclosure for my 12" ZV5 D2. I have a tester from Dayton audio to get T/S parameters and Bass box pro to build an enclosure but not only do I have little to no experience designing enclosures, I have never even attempted to model a 6th order. If I open up bass box and go to 6th order I have no idea what I'm looking at. I know the concept behind 4th, 6th, and 8th order enclosures but I don't know the math that goes with it. I even tried to find a book that went over the math behind it but never found anything. I have bought enclosure designs from Mark from Car audio fabrication and I was going to get one from him for a 6th order but I would love to model an enclosure myself. Long story short I would love for this thread to be a go to guide for the math behind 4th and 6th order enclosures. If one of you wants to help me design a 6th for my sub that's cool to but just learning the math involved would be awesome too. Thanks in advance.

6th?.. or 4th?.. find the EBP and see what'll work 1st. Once you do that I think your install, available space and ratio would be a good place to start.

6Bgceq.jpg

I use Winisd and it made NO sense at 1st... with time it became usable and It seems I'm onto something.

Just don't discount/forget cabin gain with any car install... it'll be your friend/enemy depending on your goals.

My .02 from the cheap seats

A 4th friendly sub will have an Ebp that's mid range-low... understand that a 4th will have a sealed type extension and ratio will affect your results.
A mid-hi Ebp sub will shine in a 6th... ratio can determine the balance in either... (watch velocities, excursion and response... so don't fall asleep at the mouse).
4th orders tend to be tuned 40's-60's on the ported side as they exhibit that sealed type low end extension, 6ths can increase output/extend the bandpass but may dip/peak in the center if tuned too far apart/close. An octave spread in a 6th seems to work well and ratio can be used to smooth or add peakiness as well but watch low end extension...
... Once again... it's in a vehicle... lows WILL be augmented by the cabin...
... it's a bandpass either way you go... remember that... so try to tailor your output accordingly along with a strong frontstage.
There ARE exceptions to all that B.S. I spewed but for a general rule they should apply.
I'm done pontificating on this subject... someone call B.S. if I'm spreading disinformation

Last edited:
6th?.. or 4th?.. find the EBP and see what'll work 1st. Once you do that I think your install, available space and ratio would be a good place to start.

6Bgceq.jpg

I use Winisd and it made NO sense at 1st... with time it became usable and It seems I'm onto something.

Just don't discount/forget cabin gain with any car install... it'll be your friend/enemy depending on your goals.

My .02 from the cheap seats
I know the sub is suitable for ported or sealed applications (EBP of 67.2). I definatly want to go with a 6th. I have more space than I could ever fill up with a single 12 so space isn't a problem, at all, in any direction. I could play with the program more but I don't even know where to start

I decided to open bass box and this is as far as I got before I was totally lost. For the record I used the suggested option to get the numbers you see on screen. Once again, totally lost.
1580789170551919021918369480260.jpg

Last edited:
I decided to open bass box and this is as far as I got before I was totally lost. For the record I used the suggested option to get the numbers you see on screen. Once again, totally lost.
I have Bassbox6 but don't use it, as far as your user issues go I am NO help with that program. It has been useful in some respects but everyone has their preference... I found that with use (4yr solid use) Winisd has become my go-to.
I'm probably more use to you advising 4th/6th tendencies than Bassbox issues. Bassbox still pisses me off... lol

I don’t think the zv5 will do well in a 4th order because of the QTS being too low. Subwoofers above 0.50 QTS are ideal for 4th orders. It will do fine in a 6th order. I have a zv5 too and was gonna put it in a 4th order I already have but changed my mind. On the 6th order go with a 2.1 at least, 3.1 if u have the room, and tune it to 30hz on smaller side and 50hz on the bigger side or vise versa.

Last edited:
I have both programs and don't mind loading it up and punching in numbers if you want to help walk me through. I'm definitely not going for a 4th. The only reason I thought of bassbox pro first was because of the series tuned option. I don't care if its parallel tuned. As far as I see it, it will take up more space which I'm trying to fill.

I have both programs and don't mind loading it up and punching in numbers if you want to help walk me through. I'm definitely not going for a 4th. The only reason I thought of bassbox pro first was because of the series tuned option. I don't care if its parallel tuned. As far as I see it, it will take up more space which I'm trying to fill.
I'm sorry... I'm not going to give a tutorial on Winisd setup and use. I can hardly type... lol
Bassbox even less, I'd buy a design and study it because if your'e a new user to software it's more than finding a sub in the database or entering parameters...
If you are familiar with modeling software... read above (Posts #2, 3 & 6)... If I had a Zv5-12 to play with I'd definitely do a 6th if I had the space.

Jumping in head first on a 6th? I suggest reading up on the book that came with the software also. Maybe mess around with modeling vented. Turn on vent resonance peaks and try different size vents add some cabin gain kinda get used to the software with some simpler designs.
Btw
I couldn’t see pic you posted for whatever reason when I clicked on it it only showed half the pic. Couldn’t see left side of screen

Last edited:
Despite my lack of knowledge on the subject I pushed through and attempted to model a parallel tuned 6th. I went in bass box pro and modeled 2 different ported enclosures at the 2 frequencies I decided I want to use 32 and 64. I read a lot that 30 and 60 were common but when I tried that the response didn't look as smooth. I then tried to put them together and I think it turned out. I even added bracing in the corners and in the middle. I took pictures of everything and I'll post them here. If I utterly messed up please go easy on me.
20200204_231755.jpg
20200204_231804.jpg
20200204_231816.jpg
20200204_231830.jpg
20200204_231842.jpg
20200204_231851.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.