6 speakers w/ a 4 channel amp??

life is good

I have a 4 channel amp that currently runs 4 6.5" speakers in my boat. I want to add two and maybe even 4 additional 6.5" speakers. Can I just add the wires to the terminals on the amp or will I mess something up? Is there anything i can do to avoid buying another amp?

Thanks in advance!!

- Take note of your current speaker's specs (impedance, rms rating, etc).

- Take note of your amp's specs.

- Go to google and search for wiring diagrams.

- Go to google and search for wiring diagrams.
it's this a car audio forum where people get answers to questions?

life is good - tell us what speakers you have (and their impedance) and what amp you have and we can give you direction. any links to amp specs are great and save us time.

most likely, you have four 4 ohm speakers now and your 4 channel amp is 2 ohm stereo stable. if that is the case, you can connect one additional 4 ohm speaker in parallel to each output. so each channel could power two 4 ohm speakers - for a 2 ohm load. let us know if that doesn't make sense.

if you have 2 ohm speakers, you can't add any more unless the amp is 1 ohm stereo stable (less likely).

if you refer to the owner's manual for your amplifier (hard copy or online) it will include wiring diagrams. always take note of the impedance of your speakers and how they combine (series or parallel) for a final impedance load on the amplifier.

make sure all connections are solid, secure, and safe from shorting wires or strands.

If he's too lazy or stupid to research his own equipment and figure out how to wire his speakers, he doesn't need them in the first place...
so this is a place where people who already know the answer to a question can ask it in futility? it's a valid question, the majority of people don't understand impedance, parallel wiring, and amplifier loading. he's asking the question, that's the first step in the right direction, it means he wants to do it right. i see all to often people who SHOULD have asked questions instead of driving around with fire hazards.

sure, if everyone read their owner's manuals sections like this wouldn't be necessary. but that doesn't happen. they could call a professional and pay them to help, and they should. but if a person wants to DIY then that's what this site, and others, are for.

to the OP. you're welcome at Sound Domain if this doesn't work out.

http://forum.sounddomain.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=cfrm

if you don't want to help, don't. boost your post count in OT.

hell, this section is titled Car Audio Help 101.

so this is a place where people who already know the answer to a question can ask it in futility? it's a valid question, the majority of people don't understand impedance, parallel wiring, and amplifier loading. he's asking the question, that's the first step in the right direction, it means he wants to do it right. i see all to often people who SHOULD have asked questions instead of driving around with fire hazards.
sure, if everyone read their owner's manuals sections like this wouldn't be necessary. but that doesn't happen. they could call a professional and pay them to help, and they should. but if a person wants to DIY then that's what this site, and others, are for.

to the OP. you're welcome at Sound Domain if this doesn't work out.

http://forum.sounddomain.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=cfrm

if you don't want to help, don't. boost your post count in OT.

hell, this section is titled Car Audio Help 101.
Exactly, misfit directed him to look up wiring diagrams. What better way is there to learn how to calculate impedance?

Last edited by a moderator:
so this is a place where people who already know the answer to a question can ask it in futility?
Who said anything like that?

the majority of people don't understand impedance, parallel wiring, and amplifier loading.
People start new threads about basic wiring on a daily basis. Instead of answering the same question 1,000,000 times, I find it best to tell them to use google and research the topic for themselves. Spoon feeding people does nothing for them in the long run.

if you don't want to help, don't.
I did help. I told him EXACTLY what to do.

boost your post count in OT.
I'll post whenever and wherever I want. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

telling someone to do a google search isn't helping. posting a pic of a wiring diagram is helping. car audio help 101 is just what questions like this are for. if you two are burned out helping n00bs then let others help.
Electrical basics and Car Audio links:

Wanna know more? Links and References

Ohm's Law --- Ohm's Law calculator --- Wiring Harness Color Codes --- Wire Sizing Chart
Okay, let's just say that, speaking hypothetically, I don't know how to change a car's oil. Should I a.) go straight to a message board, join the site and be spoon fed answers, or b.) Google "how to do an oil change" where I can browse through thousands of tutorials showing how to do it on various sites?

Seriously, anytime I have an issue or question, I GOOGLE AND DO MY OWN RESEARCH FIRST BEFORE ASKING.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif glad I have your attention.

if it's the same question, provide the shortcut to the other thread. you're a regular, you remember the other threads. look them up for them.

link to an image, you're good at google searches because you know the terminology to use. n00bs don't even know where to start.

respond to the question so they have an answer. send them somewhere specific where you know the answer is. a link to an owner's manual for example.

it takes less time to give a complete answer as it does to argue about why you don't want to answer. ya know?

i'm here to help people, even n00bs.

it's a moot point now, until we know the specs we can't provide any further advice.

********. There are plenty of wiring diagram sites on google. Here, I'll show you: Let me google that for you
that's bad advice. how is he to know what wiring diagram is correct? if he knew that, he wouldn't ask. is he supposed to just pick one of those results and try it?

he needed to be told to find the specs for the drivers and the amp. you did that, great. then he should come back with that info so we can give him a specific answer of how to wire the speakers to the amp. at which time a diagram or specific link could be given.

if it's the same question, provide the shortcut to the other thread. you're a regular, you remember the other threads. look them up for them.
Oh, the other threads. Yeah, they're helpful. Most of them are the same as this one. Someone suggests google and someone else posts an image from 12volt.com.

Right about now I'm going to respectfully decline all of the advice you're dishing out for me. I really don't need you to tell me how to be a productive member of ca.com.

link to an image, you're good at google searches because you know the terminology to use. n00bs don't even know where to start.
Why link a single image when I can direct them to a website that'll show them what they want to know and more?

it takes less time to give a complete answer as it does to argue about why you don't want to answer. ya know?
This is advice that you could take to heart as well. In the end, you provided no more information in this thread than I. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

i'm here to help people, even n00bs.
I do my fair share of helping people on this forum.

it's a moot point now, until we know the specs we can't provide any further advice.
I gave the opening poster all the information he'll need. He can get model numbers from the equipment itself and use them to find specs. Then he can search google for wiring diagrams. It's pretty straight forward stuff, really...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.