6.5" Speaker Recommendations for $200-$300 for Front Stage

Participant count
  • Participant list

Bdsankey

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hello, I am looking for a front stage speaker recommendation for my 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD crew cab. As of now the only parts of the system purchased are the head unit (Pioneer DEH-8800BHS) and subwoofers (4x Savard Hi-Q 6.5" dual 4ohm). The plan for the system is to use an Audio Control D-4.800 for the front stage/processor to feed the sub amp and to use an Audio Control LC-1.1500 for the subs (wiring them to 2ohm). I was planning on handling all time alignment with the D-4.800 amp and not touching that on the headunit to help make things more "future proof" in the event that I want to go to a double din unit that might not have that feature.

At this moment I've been looking at the Sky High Car Audio 65C2P Premium Neo 2 Way and B2 Audio Rage 6.1 for already put together kits. If I were to make my own kit I've been leaning toward a B&C 6NDL38 6.5 in the door but am undecided on the tweeter at that point. The D-4.800 is capable of 200w RMS at 2ohm and 125w RMS at 4ohm. I'd like to stay between $200 and $300 for the two 6.5 drivers and tweeters. As for sound preferences, I much prefer SQ>overall sound levels. Tonality I like Image Dynamics ID65CS, JL C2, and Audison APK165 (friends have had those systems as passive).

Sorry for the long-winded post, I appreciate any advice!

With that amp and you leaning more towards SQ I would go with raw drivers ran active over a component set personally.

Silver flute W17
SB acoustics SB17

Peerless NE25
Massive CT2
Morel MDT-12
Seas 27TFFNC

With that amp and you leaning more towards SQ I would go with raw drivers ran active over a component set personally.

Silver flute W17
SB acoustics SB17

Peerless NE25
Massive CT2
Morel MDT-12
Seas 27TFFNC

What cone would you recommend on the SB17? They have paper, poly, aluminum, ceramic, carbon fiber etc.

The Peerless, Massive, and Seas tweeter all look like they'd fit into the OEM tweeter location which would be ideal in my opinion but I am not opposed to putting them in the door. As of now, with those recommendations, the SB17 with paper cone 4ohm and Seas 27TFFNC seem to fit the bill very nicely.

What cone would you recommend on the SB17? They have paper, poly, aluminum, ceramic, carbon fiber etc.

The Peerless, Massive, and Seas tweeter all look like they'd fit into the OEM tweeter location which would be ideal in my opinion but I am not opposed to putting them in the door. As of now, with those recommendations, the SB17 with paper cone 4ohm and Seas 27TFFNC seem to fit the bill very nicely.

Paper cone. The SB17s and Seas would be a fantastic choice.

Can't go wrong with SB or Silverflutes. Sitting here waiting for a day to put my Silverflutes in along with a set of Alpine tweeters. Also have a set of Peerless that came with them bought the set used with only a few hours run time on them at DIYMA for 50 bucks shipped. And they checked out perfect.

It's crazy that a high quality speaker can be had for the price when you go active vs passive, meaning that once you take the cost of the passive crossover out you can really get better components for the same money as well as mix-and-match the best of multiple brands.

The one thing I have to determine is what size tweeters will fit in the OEM a-pillar location to avoid putting them in the door.

Last edited:
It's crazy that a high quality speaker can be had for the price when you go active vs passive, meaning that once you take the cost of the passive crossover out you can really get better components for the same money as well as mix-and-match the best of multiple brands.

Exactly. I'll never go back to components. The Arc Audio Black 3 way components are $700 and use SB acoustics speakers. You can buy the speakers separately for $350.

Do you think with the setup outlined above (SB17 4ohm paper cone, Seas tweeters, the 4x 6.5" woofers, Audio Control amps along with sound deadening --I'll be doing the front doors and rear cab wall now at the time of install), it's a well-balanced setup? Anything you'd change? The D-4.800 will be able to feed 125w rms to each driver which seems like it should be just about right (SB17 shows around 60w rms but I don't know if they'll take more without distorting, one way to find out).

One of my suppliers we use at our automotive repair facility carries Audio Control and a few other companies hence going with Audio Control. Plus, the quality (at least from what I've read) is extremely hard to beat.

Last edited:
The only thing I have to figure out is if I need to run a dedicated RCA setup from the front to the rear for the subwoofer channel or if I can just feed front/rear into the D-4.800 and then use the DSP to feed the LC-1.1500.

Well I finally ordered front stage speakers. I waited simply because the Seas tweeter wasn't in stock.

I ordered 2x SB Acoustics SB17NRX2C35-4 which is their 6" paper cone at 4ohm and 2x SEAS Prestige 27TFFNC/G (H1396). I can't wait to get this system done!

You will be very happy with the results. I am currently running SB Acoustics SB29RDNC-C004 and am very pleased. AudioControl is a great choice as well.

I'm excited. How well do the SB Acoustics take being overpowered? IE they are listed at 60w RMS, how much can they take? Is that RMS accurate? Obviously, that would be at long-term listening levels but what will they take at a spike if I decide to say turn it up for a little bit?

I'm excited. How well do the SB Acoustics take being overpowered? IE they are listed at 60w RMS, how much can they take? Is that RMS accurate? Obviously, that would be at long-term listening levels but what will they take at a spike if I decide to say turn it up for a little bit?
Helooo, what did you think of the SB17's? Is the paper version holding up in your doors?
I am also thinking of getting these but maybe the propylene version and some Audiofrog GS25.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...